Skin rejuvenation is a broad term that overcomes various skin problems. To simplify, skin rejuvenation refers to enhancing the texture and complexion of skin by treating the spots and blemishes, addressing the skin damages, etc. All skin rejuvenation treatments focus on making the skin blemish-free, radiant and supple.
Skin rejuvenation treatments can be broadly classified into cosmetic treatments, dermatology treatments and spa treatments. When it comes to treatments using devices, most of the skin rejuvenation therapies are offered in dermatology as well as laser clinics. Although there are some surgical medical procedures available to rejuvenate the damaged skin, it is not preferred by many.
Before knowing the various skin rejuvenation treatments, let’s know why these are not exclusive anti aging treatments.
Anti-Aging Skin Care Treatments Vs Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
Most of the anti aging products claim to have skin rejuvenating properties. Skin rejuvenation also includes aging signs reversal but is not limited to anti aging prospect only.
Skin rejuvenation treatments aren’t just meant for people with aging signs or for those who develop aging signs. It refers to all processes and procedures that aim to make the skin look younger. Having an understanding about skin rejuvenation treatments can help you choose the right treatment.
For example, rejuvenating the dull skin or acne scars do not fall under anti-aging skin care. If you are a soon-to-be-bride, you can rejuvenate your skin to improve the skin complexion and make it blemish free.
In a nutshell, skin rejuvenation treatments can be taken by anyone and not necessarily by those with mature skin. As such, skin rejuvenation treatments differ from anti-aging therapies. Anti-aging treatments specifically address the signs of aging. Skin rejuvenation treatments, on the other hand, is a more broad term that includes all types of skin treatments to make your skin look good. This may include anti-aging skin care therapies too.
Skin Rejuvenation Methods
Skin rejuvenation treatments work in accordance with the type of equipment and products used to treat the skin damages.
Noninvasive to minimally invasive skin rejuvenation treatments
Most of the skin rejuvenation treatments are non-invasive or minimally invasive. These treatments trigger the skin cells and tissues so that they heal on their own through simulation. Laser treatments, radiofrequency treatments, chemical and mechanical peeling, Botox injections, skin resurfacing etc. can be categorized as non-invasive or minimally invasive skin rejuvenation treatments. These treatments are required when basic skin care and topically active agents can no longer deal with the signs of aging or other skin imperfections. Invasive methods like surgery and fillers are required to deal with deeper skin problems.
Collagen stimulation for skin rejuvenation
Collagen is the most abundant protein found in the human body. It is the substance that holds our whole body together. It is found in our bones, muscles, skin and tendons. Collagen is one of the main components of skin which makes our skin look younger and supple. It provides elasticity to skin. Loss of collagen means saggy and loose skin. Stimulation of collagen helps regaining the skin elasticity, which makes us look young. Therefore, collagen stimulation is one of the major ways of conducting skin rejuvenation treatments.
How Skin Rejuvenation Treatments Work
There are different ways in which these treatments affect your skin to make it look radiant and flawless.
Enhancing the skin vitality
If the skin is already healthy, but with some minor flaws, rejuvenating the skin can enhance the radiance and vitality of the skin.
Minimizing the imperfections of the skin
Most of the skin rejuvenation treatments reduce the extent of visibility of the blemishes on the skin in a couple of sessions.
Skin rejuvenation of body parts
Skin rejuvenation is not just limited to facial rejuvenation. The rejuvenation treatments are applicable on neck, hands, back, belly and legs.
Skin Rejuvenation Vs Skin Resurfacing
Just like anti-aging treatments, skin rejuvenation is often confused with skin resurfacing. Although both these skin therapies are similar, there is a thin difference.
Skin rejuvenation refers to anything (treatment, skin care products, spa therapies, facials, etc.) that makes the skin look better.
Skin resurfacing refers to any treatment or procedure that removes the top layer or layers of the skin, and which enables the growth of fresh and healthy skin. Typically, skin resurfacing is a form of skin rejuvenation.
Types of Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
Let us see in detail about the various skin rejuvenation treatments.
Photo Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
Photo rejuvenation of the skin refers to the skin treatments that are performed with lasers, light therapies and dynamic therapies. Photo rejuvenation treats skin damages, effects of photo-aging of the skin, mild wrinkles, uneven skin tone and texture, and dark spots on the skin.
Most of the photo rejuvenation treatments prompt the skin to generate the growth of fresh cells and thus results with healthy and glowing skin. Simply stated, all visible skin damages are erased. It also enables self-healing of skin damages.
Blue Light Therapy
Blue and red light therapies are the popular light therapies used to address a lot of skin problems.
Blue light therapy is a non-invasive laser treatment aimed at killing the bacteria causing the skin damages. Although blue light therapy is often recommended to treat acne, it is more of a skin rejuvenation treatment which deals with the following skin problems.
- Acne bumps
- Acne scars
- Dull skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Damaged skin or discoloration of the skin
- Scars caused due to rashes, wounds and blisters
- Stretch marks
Procedure of Blue Light Therapy
The blue light therapy is administered to an individual through a lamp. The person sits before a lamp for 10 to 15 minutes or expose the area that needs rejuvenation before the lamp. The light therapy passes through mild heat which kills the bacteria and enhances the production of collagen. The treatment is scheduled in a frame of 2 weeks over a minimum period of 4 weeks.
The treatment is available at dermatology centers as well as laser clinics.
Pros and Cons of Blue Light Therapy
- Ideal for acne prone skin
- Reduces skin inflammation
- Very effective in treating mild skin damages
- Reduces stretch marks after pregnancy
- Provides short term results
- Need at least 3 to 5 sessions to see desired results
- Make the skin somewhat dry and may not be ideal for people with extremely dry skin
Red Light Therapy
Red light therapy can be called an anti-aging skin treatment. Red light literally refers to passing infrared light into the skin to heal the skin and rejuvenate it internally.
Red light therapy is widely used in reducing pain. The key to the effectiveness of this therapy is, it enhances the body defense mechanism, improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation. Red light therapy is considered more effective than topical creams that promise to eliminate the aging signs and rejuvenate the skin, and makes you look younger.
Procedure of Red Light Therapy for skin rejuvenation
The procedure is very similar to the blue light therapy. The light passes through an emitting panel on the skin surface that requires the treatment. This equipment that passes infrared comes in different dimensions and models. The lamp comes in a handy torch as well as in form of tanning beds.
Pros and Cons of Red Light Therapy
- Enhances the collagen production, which makes the skin firmer and younger
- Makes the skin soft
- Removes the dead skin cells and stimulates the tissues
- Improves the blood circulation of skin
- Reduces skin inflammation
- Not suitable for deep scars, age spots and discoloration
A few laser clinics use UVA and UVB therapy as a part of skin rejuvenation treatments. However, the Ultra Violet rays may damage the skin to some extent. It is recommended only as a part of treatment for skin diseases, not for skin rejuvenation.
Laser Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
Laser skin treatments set a new dimension to the dermatology and cosmetology industry. Laser skin rejuvenation treatments address a long list of skin conditions that damage skin and develop aging signs.
Laser treatment is suitable for everyone. However, appropriate laser treatments should be picked based on the type of skin and skin problems. Laser treatment can be used to rejuvenate skin on any part and can be customized to rejuvenate the skin on neck, back and bikini line.
How Laser treatment rejuvenates the skin?
When it comes to skin rejuvenation treatments, laser machines can provide a desired effect even on stubborn skin. The treatment focuses on,
- Enhancing the texture of the skin and evens the skin tone
- Treats pigmentation and sun damages
- Reduces the signs of aging (fine lines, wrinkles, etc)
- Shrinks the pores and erases the spots
- Treats acne
In general, the average in-depth penetration of laser light stimulates the collagen production. It makes the skin younger and enhances the skin elasticity. It enhances the natural rejuvenation process of the skin.
Types of Lasers:
Ablative lasers are more of a skin resurfacing therapy. The term ‘ablate’ refers to removal by evaporation or scraping. The laser device removes the top layer of the skin, it sloughs off the topical damages of the skin. Removal of the outermost layer of skin makes way for growth of fresh, healthy and flawless skin. Another advantage of ablative laser is, it controls the excessive collagen production on the damaged skin and scars. Eventually, the damaged skin or scar blends with the normal skin and appear less visible.
Ablative lasers are available in two types,
- Superficial ablative lasers – Suitable for mild scars and visible damages
- Indepth ablative lasers – Provides an indepth rejuvenation and provide quicker results
Pros and Cons of using Ablative Lasers for skin rejuvenation
- You get new skin and it makes your skin very soft and supple
- Lasts longer than other types of skin rejuvenation as the laser light penetrates deeply into the skin
- Needs a lot of post treatment care
- Temporary side-effects like redness, swelling, etc for a few days
- Poor skin care post treatment leads to hyper pigmentation of the skin
Not suitable for sensitive skin, oily skin and for skin with cystic acne.
Opposed to the ablative laser therapies, non-ablative lasers target the skin problems without removing or damaging the outer layer of the skin. The major focus of non-ablative lasers are skin tightening and stimulating the production of collagen.
How it works?
Without damaging the outermost layer, the laser targets the second layer of the skin. The laser machines treat the pigmentation and mild scarring in a short time. The laser therapy controls the excessive production of sebum (oil glands) and keeps the skin free of oiliness. So, most of the non-ablative lasers are the best bet for skin rejuvenation treatment of oily skin.
Pros and Cons of Non-ablative lasers
- Doesn’t hurt, and provides quick results
- Highly recommended for oily skin
- Reduces pigmentation, mild scars and premature aging signs
- Nourishes the skin by enhancing collagen production
- Ineffective for deep scars or acne bumps
Dermabrasion is more like a beauty treatment or a facial massage using a non-abrasive equipment. This is just meant to rejuvenate the skin with instant effect. It works like a deep tissue massage on the skin and nourishes the skin from internally.
Dermabrasion is also called mechanical skin rejuvenation. It rejuvenates the skin by stimulating the mechanism.
Unlike other laser rejuvenation, dermabrasion machine has a serum application on skin. After the serum is spread on the face, a nozzle is applied with gentle force on the skin. It works like massaging the skin. More focus is provided on the scarred and damaged skin. The serum contains active ingredients that enable the regeneration of healthy skin cells. It can be applied on face and neck.
Pros and Cons of Dermabrasion
- No pain, no side-effects, no downtime
- A feel good skin rejuvenation therapy
- Suitable for all skin types – it hydrates the dry skin and controls oiliness of greasy skin
- Replenish the skin texture
- Adds a natural glow to the skin instantly
- Gives a quick makeover – it takes no more than 15 minutes
- A single session lasts for a few days, sometimes no longer than 2 days
Skin Rejuvenation with Chemical Peels
It is one of the very popular and widely used skin rejuvenation treatments. It makes the skin younger and fresher. Chemical peel improves the skin tone and texture of the skin. It reduces the aging signs, erases the scars, eases away blemishes and makes skin firmer.
Chemical peel is for every skin color! Dusky skinned people need to consult with a dermatologist or a professional cosmetologist to get the right chemicals. Inappropriate use of chemical peels may result with permanent pigmentation. However, don’t think you can alter the skin color, from dusky to light, with a chemical peel. It addresses the skin damages by only removing the top layer of skin!
Chemical peel is relatively very quick and needs no down time. It is an inexpensive skin rejuvenation treatment that almost transforms your skin from dab to fab in a jiffy, almost like using a face wash.
How chemical peel is performed and how it works?
Chemical peel, as the name indicates peels the external layer of skin, obviously the damaged skin. The peels remove the top most layer of the skin. A chemical solution is applied to your face, neck and hands.
It works like an exfoliating agent. Removal of the external layer of skin gives new life to the skin regenerates the growth of skin. It doesn’t harm the skin. Besides, new, fresh and healthy skin grows back in a short time with no blemishes.
The choice of chemicals and ingredients used to make the chemical peel is decided based on your skin type and skin problems.
Different Types of Chemical Peel
There are three different types of chemical peels,
- Deep peel,
- Medium peel and
- Subtle Surface peel
Subtle Surface Peel
The subtle surface peel is very mild and your healing time is minimal. However, the results are quite short and you may need repeated visits to the spa clinic. Surface peel is ideal for busy bees who don’t have sufficient time to rest the skin after a deep peel. One session of chemical peel skin treatment takes around 15 to 30 minutes. You can get the subtle peel in your lunch time too! It is a quick fix to rejuvenate your skin.
- Mild redness and scaling of the skin is possible
- Just wrap your face when going out in the sun for about 3 days
- Daily usage of sunscreen and moisturizer is required
- You can wear makeup only after 2 days of peel
- 3 to 6 peeling sessions are required for complete skin rejuvenation
A medium chemical peel gives long lasting results and is comparatively more effective than surface peel. It treats acne scars, facial scars and blemishes as a part of skin rejuvenation.
- Skin turns red and may get swollen, which eases away in 3 to 4 days
- Frequent application of anti-viral cream, moisturizing lotion and medicines is required
- Avoid sun exposure for at least 2 weeks
- A follow up visit is required after a couple of weeks
- You can wear camouflage makeup after a week only
A deep chemical peel is your best bet if you look 10 years older than your real age. A single session is sufficient to get rid of the skin problems and get the desired result. Besides, it may remove more than one layer of skin, which is influenced by the type of skin damage. As such, the skin needs more healing time. You may not be able to move out until your skin heals completely.
After the skin treatment,
- Your skin will turn red and appear red for at least a week, and you need to cover your facial skin
- You need to keep your skin moistened
- Frequent application of moisturizer and antiviral cream is required
- No makeup can be done for at least 2 months, until the redness disappears
- Avoiding sun exposure for at least 3 months is a must
- You may need to visit your dermatologist every 2 weeks
- A deep peel generally helps the growth of fresh, unblemished and healthy skin, so you may not need a follow up visit for another session of treatment.
Deep peel is not performed on everyone. After thorough clinical examination, it is performed only upon recommendation from a dermatologist.
Chemical peel is not for dry skin and very sensitive skin! You may need to wrap your facial skin and generously apply moisturizer on your skin.
Other Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
Thermal Skin Rejuvenation Treatment
It is nothing but radio frequency treatment. The treatment rejuvenates the skin by creating a thermal effect in the skin using a radio frequency device. Similar to infrared therapy, radio frequency devices are available in different sizes and also come handy. The device is applied like a dermal roller on the skin, which passes heat into the skin. Thermal skin rejuvenation suits those who have very dull, saggy and tired skin. It is a minimally invasive skin rejuvenation treatment.
- Stimulates collagen production and helps generation of healthy cells
- Enhances blood circulation
- Aids in deep tissue repair which addresses the sagginess of skin
- Suitable for all types of skin
- The only contradiction is sensitivity to heat.
RF skin rejuvenation treatment is offered in many dermatology clinics.
Topical Creams and Lotions
Skin rejuvenation treatments are almost incomplete without the rejuvenating creams and lotions. In fact, the market for skin care is just growing like never! Buying a sun block is almost like running a 400 meter hurdle race as you may have to go through at least 20 products. Just think about choosing the skin rejuvenating creams?
There are many skin rejuvenating creams available in the market place. The key to picking an effective product is looking at the key ingredients. Check out for these three ingredients if you wish to buy rejuvenating creams.
- Deanol – Stimulates the production of collagen and manages a healthy youthful skin
- Hyaluronic acid – An anti-wrinkle ingredient, also makes the skin tone even. It works like an injected filler.
- Retinol – Plumps up your tired and saggy skin, reduces the size of pores and aids in cell development
Remember, skin rejuvenation creams are different from anti-aging serums or creams. It is recommended to get a prescription or discuss with a dermatologist to identify your skin type and possible solutions when deciding about any skin rejuvenation treatment.
Always use the skin rejuvenation creams at night for better results.
Acupuncture is an ancient therapy from China in which hair thin needles are inserted at specific points in the body to activate the cells and stimulate the respective functions. Acupuncture has potential to heal even chronic diseases and degenerative disorders. Lately, acupuncture is also used as a cosmetic therapy to rejuvenate the skin.
Cosmetic acupuncture is nothing but getting acupuncture treatment solely for beauty or cosmetic purposes. It is not intended as an alternative therapy for any disease. There are a few pressure points and triggering points that rejuvenate skin, stabilizes the imbalance, improve blood circulation and trigger the skin to replenish on its own.
The only requisite to get cosmetic acupuncture to rejuvenate your skin is choose a certified and experienced acupuncture therapist. Needling your skin in a wrong place can bring a lot of side-effects.
Who should not get Skin Rejuvenation Treatments?
Skin rejuvenation treatments won’t be effective in many cases. Who are not the right candidate for skin rejuvenation treatments? Here are some examples:
- Person with skin disease
- Person with any kind of infection and cut or broken skin
- Extremely sun damaged or excessively sun exposed skin (not hyperpigmentation or sunburn)
- People suffering from herpes
- Pregnant women or lactating women
- People suffering from or getting treatment for Dermatitis, Rosacea, Psoriasis or Eczema. (Laser therapies can be done but with a prescription from a dermatologist)
- You are also not the right candidate for skin rejuvenation treatments if you are treated for any skin disease, where skin rejuvenation is not a part of the treatment, and also using the products like bleaching and other skin lightening agents.
If you choose chemical peel, don’t try other skin rejuvenation therapies immediately after a chemical peel. However, a laser therapy done a few days before chemical peel work better.
How to make the most of skin rejuvenation treatments?
The best result from any skin rejuvenation can be achieved when all the skin problems are addressed Following are a few tips to consider before choosing a rejuvenation treatment.
Choose the service provider wisely
Owing to the rapid growth of technology, a lot of skin rejuvenating devices are available handy! So, you can see a lot of beauty clinics offering laser light therapy or photo therapy without any trained laser technicians. There are certain equipment that should be operated by a trained individual under supervision of a cosmetologist or dermatologist or an aesthetician.
Only a skin care expert can tell you what suits your skin. You just cannot go with any kind of skin rejuvenation treatment as you desire. Discuss with a dermatologist to find the right solution for your skin problem.
- If you smoke, skin rejuvenation is not for you! Even for those who live with smoker or exposed to smoking atmosphere (not public atmosphere), skin rejuvenation treatments are not for you.
- A proper skin care regimen is essential to retain the effects of the skin rejuvenation treatment.
- Don’t think about skin rejuvenation if you love to tan or tan your skin frequently. Skin rejuvenation and tanning are like water and oil, they don’t get along.
- Proper diet is a must to manage the skin health and keep it free from blemishes. What you eat reflects on your skin. And therefore, you might want to know about the best anti-aging foods!
- If you start developing wrinkles, you may need Botox to address the same.
- A combination of different skin rejuvenation treatments provides better results. For instance, laser therapy followed by chemical peel can be very effective in improving the skin tone and complexion.
The best and effective skin rejuvenation treatment varies a lot, depending upon your skin problems, skin type, age, and overall health. Ethnicity and skin tone also plays a vital role in determining the skin rejuvenation treatment.
It is never too late to stick to or create a skin care regime that is suitable for your skin. After rejuvenating your skin, you should maintain a healthy skin care routine to manage the skin health.