Aloe vera and its anti aging benefits are now backed by science. Yes, until few years ago, aloe vera was just a herb that was used traditionally for various skin care routines. In other words, aloe vera was just one of the most effective home remedies for wrinkles from grandma’s treasures. But now even scientists say that aloe vera is a miracle herb, more so when you are looking for anti aging remedies. You can confidently use aloe vera for wrinkles as science has uncovered the principles on which this herb gives you the gift of youthful skin. Let’s know first can aloe vera help get rid of wrinkles?
What Science says about Anti Aging benefits of Aloe Vera?
In 2009, a study was conducted and published in the Annals of Dermatology. This study revealed that as little as 1/4 teaspoon of pure Aloe Vera gel can reverse signs of aging, skin aging to be precise. And in how many days you ask? In just 90 days, that is only 3 months!
During the study, 30 women over the age of 45 were made to consume aloe vera gel. Some of them were given oral doses of 1200 mg/day and the others were given three times of this quantity, 3600 mg/day. If you convert this into teaspoons for convenience, the first group was given about 1/4 tsp of aloe vera and the other group was given 3/4 tsp. And what were the results after 90 days?
- Facial wrinkles reduced significantly in both the groups of women
- Facial elasticity improved in the group of women that was having lower dose of aloe vera
How can aloe vera help get rid of wrinkles?
Based upon the study findings, the researchers concluded the following about aloe vera and its usefulness in removing wrinkles:
- Consuming aloe vera gel internally increases production of collagen. Collagen is one of the most important components of skin. It keeps skin firm, elastic and youthful.
- Not only does it stimulates production of collagen, aloe vera, in fact, works at the DNA level and prevents breakdown of collagen produced naturally by our bodies.
- When applied topically on skin, aloe vera protects skin against such damages as caused by sunburns, scars, wounds acne etc.
- Aloe vera also helps detoxify body when consumed internally. It flushes all the toxins out of the body.
Why is Aloe vera so useful for wrinkle removal?
Due to all its nutrients. Yes, aloe vera has 75 active components that include vitamins, minerals and amino acids and more.
Aloe vera also has amino acids. Of its 20 amino acids, 7 are essential. Amino acids aid significantly in keeping the skin firm and hair healthy. Some of these amino acids are only responsible for stimulating collagen production in the body.
Aloe vera has various essential vitamins. They are Vitamin A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12. Vitamins A, C and E are excellent antioxidants that help fight off free radicals that not only give you signs of aging like wrinkles and pigmentation but also deadly diseases like cancer and heart disease.
Aloe vera also has minerals. They are sodium, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and copper. These minerals make it a super herb for superb health!
Aloe vera has Polysaccharides that are a type of sugar ‘Acemannan’ having antiviral properties. These polysaccharides not only resolve gastrointestinal problems but also boost the immune system. Strong immune system means no allergies, infections and diseases which in turn means delayed aging.
Aloe vera also has fatty acids, to be precise, four plant-based fatty acids. These fatty have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. And whatever is anti-inflammatory is anti aging!
Aloe vera also has organic compounds known as anthraquinones. Some of them have laxative effects and thus are removed from the aloe vera gel commercially available in shops. You should also remove the yellow latex part just under the thick aloe vera leaf cover. The white gel beneath the yellow gel is what should be consumed.
How to use Aloe Vera for Anti Aging Skin Care?
The million dollar question! However, it has a very simple answer. Just lay your hands on aloe vera plant. If possible, get it right in a pot in your home and use the pure aloe vera gel extracted with your own hands from the aloe vera leaves. But how to do so? Let’s see
Extract the aloe vera gel from the leaf
Do it like this:
You can even store this aloe vera gel in your refrigerator and use it as and when required.
If you are not so lucky to find a fresh aloe plant or aloe leaf, no worries. Get 100% organic aloe vera gel from some health store.
After you have taken out aloe vera gel from the leaf or bought the organic aloe gel, you may either consume it in form of smoothie or apply it topically to your skin to get rid of pigmentation, wrinkles, and other aging signs. In fact, you can even use aloe vera for wrinkles under eyes. All the methods and techniques for using aloe vera for anti aging benefits are given in the later sections
How to use Aloe Vera for Anti Aging?
Aloe vera is a miracle herb having innumerable properties for skin and overall health. It can not only make you healthy and protect against various diseases but also make you young
If you want all the benefits of aloe vera, you need to consume it. Drink aloe vera juice or make aloe vera smoothie. You may also add pure aloe vera gel to your regular smoothies. The key is to get the aloe vera gel inside your body.
Make Pure Aloe Vera Juice
This is just aloe vera gel and water blended to get juice of the miracle herb.
- Aloe vera gel- 2-3 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Place the aloe vera gel in the jar of your mixer or in blender.
- Add water to this gel. You may add 1 cup or more water depending upon the consistency of aloe juice you want.
- Blend it
- Take it out in a glass and drink it, preferably in the morning, daily.
If you cannot have the plain aloe vera juice, make it flavorful as described in the next recipe of aloe vera juice.
Make Flavored Aloe Vera Juice
Use natural drinks to flavor your aloe vera juice such as some vegetable juice, fruit juice, coconut water, barley water, fresh lemon juice etc.
- Aloe vera gel- 2-3 tsp
- Vegetable juice/ Orange or some other fruit juice/ Coconut water – 1-2 cups
- Fresh lemon juice- few drops
- Honey (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Place the aloe gel in the blender
- Add whatever juice you are using or coconut water
- Blend well
- Take it out in a glass
- If you have used vegetable juice, you may add some lemon juice and honey to make your aloe vera juice some more tasty.
- If you have used fruit juice or coconut water, you won’t need to add anything else. However, if you still want to add lemon juice and honey, you may do so.
Make Aloe Vera Smoothie
If you love to have aloe vera in various avatars, you may as well try to make aloe vera smoothie with different ingredients. Here is one very interesting aloe vera smoothie recipe for you.
- Aloe vera gel- 1/2 cup
- Almond milk or coconut milk- 1 cup
- Blueberries- 1/2 cup
- Mango pieces- 1/2 cup (in fact, you can use any fruit, be it pineapple, grapes, guava, anything!)
- Coconut oil- 1/2 tbsp
- Fresh basil leaves- 1-2 tbsp
- Honey (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Place all the above ingredients into the blender
- Blend it till the time it is really smooth
- Have it and feel the flavorful burst in your mouth along with having all the health and anti aging benefits of aloe vera!
How to use Aloe Vera for Wrinkles?
This is inevitable. With age, we are bound to get wrinkles. This is because with aging, our skin tends to get thinner and also loses its natural elasticity. What aloe vera can do is delay the wrinkle formation. Yes, due to its great moisturizing properties, aloe vera gel penetrates deep inside the skin and fights off free radicals with the help of its antioxidant properties. It helps boost the production of collagen so that the skin regains its lost elasticity. Aloe vera also regenerates skin cells and thus our skin looks more youthful as the wrinkles diminish gradually.
Use plain Aloe Vera Gel for Wrinkles
To use aloe vera for wrinkles, you just need to get some pure aloe gel and massage it into your skin. That’s all. You may also combine various skin friendly ingredients with aloe vera gel to make it more effective for your anti aging skin care. I’ll give you such aloe vera masks and face packs recipes too but first, let’s see how to use pure aloe vera gel for wrinkles.
Pure Aloe Vera Gel
- Wash your face with water. You may also use mild soap or cleanser for the purpose.
- Pat dry your face.
- Now take some pure aloe vera gel and apply this to your face
- Massage this gel gently into your skin in circular motion
- Do this for about 2-4 minutes
- That’s all
- If you feel a little sticky, you may wash off your face with plain water after at least 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day and don’t forget to do this at bedtime.
Use Aloe Vera Gel for Wrinkles Under Eyes
The skin around your eyes is thinner than the rest of your facial skin. Probably this is the reason why wrinkles under eyes form earlier than anywhere else. So, why not use the all natural aloe vera gel for this very sensitive area of your skin and get rid of crow’s feet as well as under eye wrinkles and fine lines.
- Aloe vera gel- 1/2 cup
- Cucumber (chopped)- 1
- Witch hazel extract- 1/2 cup
- Gelatin- 1 packet
- White tea- 1 teabag
- Peppermint essential oil- 3-4 drops
- Take the cucumber pieces and aloe vera gel and blend them in the blender until they are smooth
- Now strain this smoothie using a sieve so that you get the juice of aloe vera and cucumber. You need 1/2 cup of juice. If you feel lazy, just don’t strain it, use as it is! But if you are a perfectionist who would like to have the consistency of eye gel similar to that of store bought gels, strain it.
- Take a pan and add witch hazel extract and gelatin to it. Also add the teabag to this mixture.
- Heat the mixture just to a point where you see it thicken.
- Put off the flame and remove the pan from the heat.
- Let it cool down to room temperature. Discard the tea bag
- Add the aloe vera and cucumber juice to the mixture.
- Add the peppermint oil for some aroma and coolness for your eyes
- Mix everything well
- Now store this eye gel in an airtight container and place it in your refrigerator where it will be there for about 6 weeks.
- To use this aloe vera-cucumber eye gel for your under eye wrinkles and crow’s feet, wash your face before you go to bed at night. Apply your homemade aloe vera gel around your eyes. For rest of the face, either use plain aloe vera gel or your regular night cream. You may also use a homemade anti wrinkle night cream.
- Wash off your face in the morning and apply some moisturizer.
Aloe Vera Anti Aging Skin Care
Anti aging skin care is not only about removing wrinkles. It is much more than that. Anti aging skin care involves taking care of your skin in such a way that it looks radiant, youthful, smooth and spot free. Taking steps to get rid of wrinkles using aloe vera or other home remedies is just one part of anti aging skin care routine. You need to fight off the dullness of skin, age spots and patches on your skin, the scars on your skin, and so on. The good news is that aloe vera is capable of doing all this for you. You just need to mix the right ingredients with aloe vera and apply it to your skin in the right way! Here are some aloe vera anti aging skin care recipes for you.
Aloe Vera Anti Aging Face Mask
This anti aging face mask uses calendula oil and lemon juice along with aloe vera gel. Aloe vera in this face mask recipe moisturizes your skin and fights the signs of aging like wrinkles, pigmentation, age spots etc. removes dead skin cells, and protects your skin against sun damage. Calendula oil further exfoliates your skin to give you a glowing face and fights off inflammation and free radicals due to its anti oxidant properties. Lemon juice is a great skin tonic due to its skin friendly acids. It not only exfoliates and diminishes scars but also helps diminish the age spots.
- Aloe vera gel- 4 tbsp
- Calendula oil- 2 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice – from 1/2 lemon
- Few calendula petals (optional)
- Combine aloe vera gel, calendula oil, lemon juice, and calendula petals if using
- Mix well
- Wash your face and pat dry
- Apply the prepared face mask to your face.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water
- Do this 2-3 times a week to get brightened skin with reduced signs of aging
Aloe Vera Body Scrub
Aloe vera is not only for face and under eyes. You can use aloe vera for whole body. After all, aging affects all of your body and not just face. However, wrinkles are not the problem for body. With aging, our body tends to become drier than ever. This may be due to the dead skin cells that get deposited over skin. Use aloe vera body scrub to get rid of dead skin cells and to get a rejuvenated softer skin. Sugar in this body scrub recipe will help exfoliate skin by removing dead skin cells. Aloe vera will clean your skin deeply. It will also heal your skin. Lemon juice will help diminish the spots on your body and will give you a toned skin.
- Aloe Vera Gel- 1/2 cup
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Lemon juice- 2 tbsp
- Mix all the three ingredients
- Stir well to mix them all
- Apply this aloe vera scrub to your body
- Gently rub it over your body in circular motion for about 8-10 minutes
- Wash off with water and pat dry
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week
Aloe Vera Moisturizing Cream for Dry Aging Skin
This recipe can be called one of the best homemade face cream recipes, especially for anti aging benefits. Just like aloe vera gel, coconut oil in this recipe works to reduce wrinkles by boosting collagen production. Beeswax not only makes your skin smooth but also has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Apricot Kernel oil has lots of omega-6 gamma-linolenic acid that helps in hydrating and nourishing your skin. The vitamins A and E in this oil also promotes regeneration of skin cells as well as collagen production. This perfectly diminishes fine lines and wrinkles. This recipe also uses rose oil, a well known anti aging oil. Rose oil has essential fatty acids and vitamin A in the form of Transretinoic acid. All these help in regenerating skin cells and in removing wrinkles, spots etc. from the skin.
- Aloe vera gel- 1/2 cup
- Beeswax- 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil- 1/3 cup
- Apricot kernel oil- 1/2 cup
- Rose oil- 1 tsp
- Rose water- 1/3 cup
- Melt beeswax and coconut oil using indirect heat.
- For this, place the beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl or glass measuring cup
- Place this glass container into a larger bowl with simmering water. You can also use double boiler for melting beeswax and coconut oil
- Mix aloe vera gel and rose water in another bowl
- Once the combined beeswax and coconut oil melts and become liquid, take the bowl out of the hot water
- Let it cool down a little but don’t allow it to become solid
- When the beeswax-coconut oil mixture cools down a bit, mix apricot kernel oil to this
- Now let it cool down a little more and add the rose oil
- Place the oil-beeswax mixture into blender and pour the aloe vera-rose water mixture over it
- Blend all of them till they get homogenized
- Transfer this homemade face cream to a glass container or salve jar
- Use this aloe vera face cream daily 2-3 times for anti aging benefits
There are many more ingredients that can be used to make anti wrinkle creams at home but aloe vera remains one of the best gifts of nature that has anti aging benefits beyond imagination!