Treatment for crow’s feet is exorbitantly high. You need to pay a lot of money to get that botox or filler treatment and get rid of crow’s feet around your eyes. But it’s only when you go to the cosmetic surgeon! Did you know, cure for crow’s feet is available right there at your home! Yes, you can remove crow’s feet with some excellent home remedies but before you know these crow’s feet remedies, let’s know what is crow’s feet and how do you get this.
What is Crow’s Feet?
The meaning of crow’s feet should not be taken literally as the feet of crow but yes, it is symbolic or more precisely representative! The tiny wrinkles around your eyes, particularly at the outer corners of your eyes are the crow’s feet. They are named so because they resemble the structure of the feet of a bird. If you want to see these wrinkles around your eyes clearly, smile or squint your eyes and look into the mirror. You will be able to see some fine lines under eyes that go all along the outer corners of your eyes and then radiate around the corner of your eyes like the foot of a bird! As they don’t look any beautiful, probably that’s why they have been named after crow’s feet and not some other beautiful bird! So, now you know what is crow feet around eyes. But what causes them? Let’s find out.
By the way, if you weren’t able to see any crow’s feet around your eyes, you are a lucky person. Just forget about how to get rid of crow’s feet and focus on how to prevent crow’s feet so that you never get those ugly fine lines around your beautiful eyes!
What Causes Crow’s Feet Around Eyes?
The primary causes of crow’s feet are aging and constant squinting. There are certain other causes too, that lead to the formation of crow’s feet around your eyes. These include wrong sleeping habits, damage of skin around eyes due to harmful UV rays etc.
Aging causes Crow’s Feet
Crow’s feet are a kind of wrinkles that form on the skin on the outer sides of the eyes. These wrinkles around eyes generally start to appear as you age. Though your skin has great elastic tendencies and it returns to its original form after being pulled or compressed but with age, the skin becomes dryer and thinner especially around the eyes and loses its elasticity. Aging causes decrease in the production of proteins like collagen and elastin and this is the major cause of skin losing its elasticity and firmness. These two proteins are responsible for the skin’s elasticity and tightened appearance, but due to their scarcity, your skin develops crow’s feet and other signs of aging like, wrinkles, brown spots etc. Also, as you age, the firm skin starts sagging due to the loss of its fat tissues. This makes the skin thinner day by day. The skin around eyes is already thinner as compared to the overall skin of your body surface. Thus, under and around eyes is one of the first sites that get affected by aging and fine lines begin forming under eyes which then give rise to crow’s feet.
Squinting also causes Crow’s Feet
Squinting here doesn’t only mean squinting but also smiling and other such facial expressions that make the area around your eyes fold more often. It is not in vain that crow’s feet has other names like ‘laugh lines’ and ‘character lines’. When you squint your eyes to read something or as a reaction to sun outside, you are utilizing the orbicularis oculi muscle. When you squeeze your eyes tight, you contract this muscle, forming wrinkles. Over time, they become permanent and give you fine lines around eyes that is then called crow’s feet.
Over-exposure to Sun causes Crow’s Feet
Not only does squinting due to sun but also the damage done to your skin by the solar radiation result into crow’s feet. The UVA rays damage the elastin and collagen in your skin. This makes your skin sag which then hangs loosely and give you wrinkled skin initially on weak areas like around eyes and then to whole of your skin.
Smoking too causes Crow’s Feet
When you smoke, you damage the collagen and elastin fibers in your skin. Not only this, smoking also affects your blood circulation and deprives your skin of nutrients and oxygen. And if you didn’t realize, see it next time when smoking, it causes you to squint, when you take a puff or exhale. This happens involuntarily and you do not realize that you are squinting which ultimately causes crow’s feet.
Crow’s feet may show up earlier in people who don’t take good care of their skin. These fine lines around eyes may also be caused in some people due to genes.
How to Cure Crow’s Feet?
When you want to explore all the ways for crow’s feet removal, you have many options including anti-wrinkle creams that claim to remove crow’s feet, non-invasive treatment options like botox and fillers treatment for crow’s feet and of course certain home remedies.
- Keep your skin moisturized properly because dryness of skin leads to premature wrinkling of skin. Crow’s feet is only a form of wrinkle!
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- If going for anti-wrinkle creams, use such creams that contain active agents like retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids and copper peptides. They are effective for removing wrinkles.
- If you find these creams ineffective, visit a dermatologist and get a prescription wrinkle cream. Such a cream has the same ingredients namely retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids and copper peptides etc. but in higher amounts. They can effectively cure wrinkles, crow’s feet and other such fine lines.
- If you are not hesitant in using non-surgical options and if you can afford such an expensive treatment for crow’s feet, you can go for Botox procedure. Botox which stands for botulinum toxin injections, relaxes the muscles around eyes so that they can’t contract when you smile, squint, laugh or frown. But you should always be aware of the risks involved in such a treatment for crow’s feet. Apart from giving you an expressionless glassy face, botox treatment can lead to complications if the toxin spreads beyond the treatment area. And yes, you must also learn to manage itchy puffy eyes after botox.
- If, even after getting botox, the fine lines around your eyes are visible, injectable filler can be used to further hide the crow’s feet.
- Other than botox and fillers for crow’s feet, laser resurfacing and chemical peel are also available options of treatment for crow’s feet. They help re-texture your skin to smooth away the fine lines that are visible even when you are not smiling or squinting. All said, it is your surgeon who can best decide what treatment is good for your crow’s feet. And whether you need such a treatment for crow’s feet at all!
If the above treatment options for crow’s feet scare you enough and now you want to cure crow’s feet naturally, you can always do so. Well, sort of. In fact, once they are made, crow’s feet can not be removed altogether even with expensive treatments but they can be diminished to a level that they don’t seem to appear on your skin. Here are a few ways, using which you can considerably diminish these lines and get rid of crow’s-feet around your eyes.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Crow’s Feet
These are some finest natural remedies to get rid of crow’s feet.
Use Vitamin E to Cure Crow’s Feet
Vitamin E has excellent antioxidant properties that can, not only help fight signs of aging, but also protect you from sun damage which is one of the primary causes of crow’s feet and wrinkles. Consuming vitamin E actually neutralizes free radicals in your skin and prevents various signs of aging including crow’s feet. Vitamin E also hydrates your skin and speeds up cellular regeneration of the skin.
Ways to use Vitamin E to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
- Eat foods rich in vitamin E such as vegetable oils, flaxseed and other seeds, green leafy vegetables and nuts.
- To apply vitamin E on crow’s feet, puncture a capsule of vitamin E and apply some of the oil directly over the fine lines around your eyes. Do this multiple times to get the best results.
- You can also use a cream having vitamin E oil as one of its main ingredients to apply on your crow’s feet and wrinkles. In fact, you can make anti-wrinkle cream at home and use it for crow’s feet removal as well!
Use Egg White to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
Egg whites are rich in vitamin B12 and proteins. These nutrients help in effective skin tightening, which is a great step when trying to fight off crow’s feet. You can simply apply egg white all over your face including the areas around your eyes having crow’s feet. Then let it dry before applying another layer of egg white. When this layer also dries off, wash it off with lukewarm water, pat dry and apply moisturizer to prevent skin from drying. Alternatively, you can do spot treatment by preparing an egg white mask as follows.
Get these ingredients:
- Egg white of 1 egg
- cotton ball
- Beat the egg white until you get a foamy consistency out of it.
- Soak the cotton ball in water and wring out the excessive water.
- Now soak the damp cotton ball in the foamy egg white solution.
- Apply this on crow’s feet.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Coconut oil Reduces Crow’s Feet and other Fine Lines
The fatty acids present in Coconut oil increase collagen cross-linking, which in turn, helps reduce crow’s feet, fine lines, and wrinkles. You have already known that when the natural production of collagen decreases, it gives rise to crow’s feet. While you cannot stop this natural process of aging but you can always supplement your skin with such nutrients that keep on boosting the production of collagen such as coconut oil.
Get this ingredient:
- Virgin coconut oil
It is important to use pure coconut oil, preferably virgin coconut oil to get the maximum benefit it provides to your skin.
- Take a little amount of virgin coconut oil.
- Apply it to your crow’s feet and fine lines under eyes.
- Rub it thoroughly there, at least twice a day.
- Regular massaging with coconut oil will drastically reduce crow’s feet around your eyes.
Avocado Hydrates Skin and Removes Crow’s Feet
Avocados have moisturizing fatty acids, vitamin E and C as well as antioxidant carotenoids. The oleic acid content of avocado, which is its monounsaturated fatty acid, helps maintain moisture in the epidermal layer of your skin. This keeps your skin soft and hydrated and away from fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin E in it, helps prevent free radical damage and reduces signs of aging skin including crow’s feet. Vitamin C in avocados boosts the production of elastin and collagen that bind the skin cells together to maintain their firmness. And its antioxidant protects your skin from environmental damage which causes fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging like crow’s feet.
Ways to use Avocado to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
- Eat avocado, its delicious too!
- Mash the pulp of a ripe avocado and apply it on your crow’s feet as well as other wrinkled skin areas.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with warm water. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
- You can also mix some sweet almond oil with mashed pulp of a ripe avocado and then apply it to the area around your eyes to cure crow’s feet.
- Massage the area around your eyes with avocado oil to reduce crow’s feet.
Cucumber is One of the Best Crow’s Feet Remedies
Not only crow’s feet, cucumber is in fact, one of the best anti aging home remedies! With nutrients like, thiamine, riboflavin, and vitamins, cucumber can easily calm tired eye muscles and help reduce appearance of deep wrinkles. Silica in cucumber rejuvenates your skin to diminish the appearance of not only crow’s feet but also dark circles around eyes. What more, the ascorbic acid present in cucumber drastically reduces water retention to help you get rid of puffy eyes bags! All these properties of cucumber makes it not only one of the best remedies for crow’s feet but also for other problems of eyes due to aging and otherwise!
Ways to use Cucumber to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
- Cut a cucumber in thin slices and place a slice each on both of your closed eyes. Relax for 10-15 minutes. If needed, replace the cucumber slices in between with new slices. This allows all the nutrients of cucumber seep into your skin surrounding your eyes.
- Grind a cucumber and apply this paste to your face, wait for few minutes before washing off. If its too runny, add some oatmeal to convert it into a smooth paste.
- Grate a cucumber and extract the juice out of this pulp. Soak a cotton ball in this cucumber juice and apply it around your eyes to cure crow’s feet. You can actually apply it all over your skin to get rid of wrinkles as a whole. It is because cucumber is one of the natural home remedies for wrinkles.
- Eat cucumber daily. Include it as one of the major ingredients of your daily salads.
Use Aloe Vera Gel for Crow’s Feet Remedy
Aloe vera leaf with the gel in its core has loads of antioxidants that include beta carotene, vitamin C and E. All of these components help improve your skin’s natural firmness while keeping it hydrated. Its antioxidant properties neutralize free radicals to give you a rejuvenated skin. Aloe vera gel has a polysaccharide called glucomannan and a growth hormone known as gibberellin. These components significantly increase collagen synthesis to give you fresh wrinkle free skin. It also protects your skin against harmful UV radiations to prevent crow’s feet.
Get this ingredient:
- Aloe vera leaf OR gel
- Cut open the aloe vera leaf and scrape the gel out of it.
- Take some gel and apply it to your crow’s feet around eyes.
- Repeat it 3-4 times or more daily.
- If you can’t get a leaf, buy aloe vera gel available at health stores and use it as you would have used the fresh aloe vera gel taken out of the leaf.
Papaya is a Good Cure for Crow’s Feet
Being rich in vitamin C, this fruit helps in fighting off free radicals. Vitamin C also boosts collagen production. If you remember, lack of collagen in skin is one of the major causes of wrinkles and crow’s feet. Papaya also contains an enzyme called papain that helps clean off dead skin cells allowing space for new skin which is firm in nature. You can either directly rub a piece of raw papaya on your skin, particularly around the eyes to remove crow’s feet or mash up a little of it to mix with olive oil. You can then apply this pack to your skin and wait for 5-10 minutes before washing it off. If your skin is very dry, you may actually make a papaya-oatmeal pack to get rid of both, dryness of skin and crow’s feet. Here’s how to do so.
Get these ingredients:
- Ripe papaya- ½
- Oatmeal- 1-2 tbsp
- Take out the pulp of the ripe papaya and mash it properly.
- Add oatmeal to this and mix well to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this mask all over your face focusing more on crow’s feet area and other areas having wrinkles.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water
- Repeat 1-2 times a week.
Milk too helps Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
Yes, the plain milk is also a crow’s feet remedy! Milk has an acid which wipes out the outer layer of your wrinkled skin. This gives way to a newer fresh skin without wrinkles and fine lines.
Get these ingredients:
- Clean cloth/ wash cloth/ clean tissue
- Soak the cloth or tissue in milk.
- Wring out the cloth to get rid of the dripping milk. Do not let the whole milk go out of the cloth.
- Now place this milk soaked cloth over your face after closing eyes.
- Rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Then wash off with water.
Lemon Juice helps Remove Crow’s Feet
Citric acid is good for skin care as it exfoliates the outer dead cells and helps get rid of crow’s feet by assisting in formation of new wrinkle free skin. Lemon juice is known to have great amount of citric acid which is also an excellent astringent that tones up the skin pores to give it a firm appearance.
Ways to use Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
- Cut a lemon in two halves. Rub one of the halves over your crow’s feet to apply its juice there. Be careful not to let the juice enter your eyes. Wait for 10 minutes before washing it off with water.
- If your skin is sensitive, it might feel a burning sensation when you apply undiluted lemon juice. To avoid this, add lemon juice squeezed from a fresh lemon with some water and then apply it on your fine lines with the help of a cotton ball.
- Lemon juice also dries skin. To counter this condition, mix equal amounts of lemon juice and glycerin. Apply this mixture to your crow’s feet before going to bed at night. Wash it off in the morning.
Avoid going out in the sun after applying lemon juice to your skin as it makes your skin excessively photo-sensitive. This might damage your skin from sunburns.
Essential Oils to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
There are many essential oils that have skin regeneration properties and help promote the production of collagen and elastin so that you are able to remove crow’s feet by finding new youthful skin. Here is a list of such essential oils and how they can help cure crow’s feet around your eyes. In fact, these essential oils make excellent home remedies for wrinkles in general! If in doubt, know the anti-aging benefits of facial massage from the best essential oils!
- Frankincense Oil: It is one of the best anti-aging essential oils. Frankincense essential oil has cytophylactic properties due to which it helps protect your skin cells. At the same time, this oil promotes growth of new cells. It drastically reduces wrinkles and tightens sagging skin. You can use this essential oil to effectively cure crow’s feet.
- Patchouli Oil: The anti-inflammatory patchouli oil is an excellent oil for mature skin, particularly for acne prone skin. It helps reduce pores of skin along with tightening the sagging skin. But the property that comes handy in dealing with crow’s feet is its anti-wrinkle property. It perfectly reduces fine lines from your face and around eyes.
- Clary sage oil: This essential oil has antioxidants that can amazingly reverse the signs of aging, like wrinkles and skin discoloration. Therefore, you can use this oil to effectively cure crow’s feet. It protects you against free radicals, tightens skin pores and make it firm by reducing crow’s feet and wrinkles. It is especially good for women as it has components resembling female hormone. Thus, if you area a woman, you may depend upon this oil to remove crow’s feet from around your eyes. However, don’t use clary sage oil if you are pregnant.
How to Use Essential Oils to Get Rid of Crow’s Feet?
Get these ingredients:
- Essential oil of your choice (select one from many anti-aging essential oils)- 2-4 drops
- Carrier oil (almond, coconut or jojoba oil)- 1-2 tablespoons
- Combine the drops of essential oil and the carrier oil.
- Mix them well.
- Apply this to your crow’s feet.
- Massage the oil gently yet firmly into the skin around your eyes. Be careful when massaging the thin area under your eyes. Do it with gentle hands here. Store the remaining oil mixture in an airtight glass bottle.
- Regular massaging of the skin will help you get rid of crow’s feet soon.
These were the top remedies to get rid of crow’s feet that are equally applicable when you aim at removing wrinkles and fine lines under eyes and face! But what if you don’t have crow’s feet or if you have been able to get rid of crow’s feet? You now need to prevent crow’s feet, but how? Here are some tips for you to stop crow’s feet from coming back.
How to Prevent Crow’s Feet?
Here are some extremely useful tips to prevent crow’s feet.
- Quit smoking. Smoking, as you now know, makes your eyes squint without your knowledge. And squinting is the major cause of crow’s feet. Stop smoking to stop crow’s feet from forming around your eyes.
- Avoid sun. You squint when you are out in sun. While you cannot stop going out, you can, at least, protect your eyes from sunrays. Use sun glasses, wide brimmed hats, umbrellas, anything that prevents your eyes from sun related squinting.
- Use sunscreen. Sun not only makes your eyes squint but it also damages the skin by causing skin cells to break down due to harmful UV rays. For eyes, use an eye cream with sun protection factor of 15 or higher. This will also prevent crow’s feet.
- Give rest to your eyes. It’s more important when you work continuously on computer or watch TV or any other screen. Staring at such screens make your eye muscles tired. This fatigue then causes your eyes to squint. Therefore, take breaks while working and while using your smart phones and other smart devices.
- Improve sleeping posture. Sleep on your back, as far as possible. It helps prevent crow’s feet and facial wrinkles. When you sleep on your side or stomach, your skin may get folded in creases and become permanent lines.
- Avoid touching eyes or face frequently. More precisely, don’t scratch or rub your skin. When you rub your eyes, it leads to puffiness and wrinkles. This is due to the inflammation you get from rubbing or scratching the skin. Inflammation always causes fine lines and wrinkles.
- Remove makeup before sleeping. Focus more around the eyes as it is a hard-to-clean place. Makeup residue gives you all sorts of signs of aging including crow’s feet. Make it a ritual to remove your makeup and moisturizing your skin properly before you go to bed every night.
- Eat anti-wrinkle foods. You need to fight off the inflammation and free radicals from inside too. Applying things outside on skin helps but in the longer run, what helps the most is what you give your body in the form of nutrition. So, have foods that prevent damage due to free radicals. Eat anti aging foods for skin to fight wrinkles. This will also prevent crow’s feet. After all, they are only a form of wrinkles.
- Massage around your eyes. Even if you don’t have crow’s feet. Doing this will prevent crow’s feet forever. You express a lot whole day long and thus there are all chances that your ‘expression lines’ will convert into crow’s feet over time. So, make your muscles around eyes relax every night by massaging them with an essential oil or a night eye cream. Also try to get a facial every month so that the blood circulation of your face keeps pace with your hectic lifestyle and the muscles too, stay relaxed. This is the minimum you can do to prevent crow’s feet from developing around your eyes!
If you take such small steps, you won’t regret because these small efforts lead to bigger results, they prevent crow’s feet and wrinkles. They help you stay younger for longer! In fact, if you do these things, you will never have to think or try to get rid of crow’s feet!