Age spots are popular as one of the first aging signs. When aging signs get displayed on your skin, it isn’t just about beauty or how do you look! It also indicates a lot about your internal health. When you are stressed, it affects your skin. When you are deprived of nutrition, it shows up on your face. When you are dehydrated, your skin looks dry and pale! Beyond aging signs, you also develop age spots that are so apparent.
It has happened to all of us. One day you could have noticed a small brown spot or black spot on your hands or your face that you haven’t seen before. This is the time when you should take steps and find the best anti aging home remedies that not only improves your skin’s appearance but also improves your overall health. Why you ask? Because a dark spot on your cheek or tiny brown spots on your face not only affect the way you look, but also indicate something went wrong inside your body. Nobody can take sudden onset of dark spots on the skin lightly!
What are Age Spots?
You always want to look good and feel good. So, what are these mystery spots you develop suddenly? The unevenly shaped tiny spots in black, brown or grey shades refer to age spots. Age spots are connected with physical appearance as well health concerns.
Medically, age spots are termed as Solar Lentigines. According to America Society for Dermatologic Surgery, an age spot can be a single spot on the skin or can be a cluster of small spots or dots connected together.
Isn’t it awkward to see a dark spot near your nose suddenly or a pigmented forehead with uneven skin tone? When you notice an age spot, the next thing that immediately comes to your mind is how to get rid of age spots! This is true. Instead of looking for the causes, most of us hunt for solutions! Yes, age spots and pigmentation affects the way you look. Especially, in fair skinned people, age spots are way too apparent!
Before looking into how to get rid of age spots, let us know about the causes for age spots.
What causes age spots?
The dark spots are caused by excessive production of melanin, the hormone that gives the color to your skin. (Fair skinned people have less melanin and dark skinned people have more melanin.)
What produces extra melanin?
- Sun exposure (too much exposure to sun, not all exposure is bad)
- Exposure to ultraviolet radiation (Frequent use of tanning beds)
Generally, age spots appear in people older than 40 plus years. It is usually caused by the exposure for many years and so it is very common in elders.
Aging is not the sole reason that you develop brown or dark spots. In fact, the onset of dark spots and pigmentation makes you look aged. However, aging is just a factor by itself accompanied by a lot of variables.
Age spots develop synonymously with the number of years of sun exposure and your age! If you are young, the extent of sun exposure is relatively low!
However, it doesn’t mean no younger folks develop age spots. Sun exposure for years is the primary cause of dark spots on elders. Even if you are young and spent a lot of time outdoors in the sun, your skin probably gets damaged due to UV rays.
- Suntan is good for the skin and your overall health. Yet, too much tanning harms the skin.
- Excessive exposure to UV rays produces excess melanin that result with age spots.
- When you get old, the body produces extra melanin as a part of aging process and that leads to dark spots.
So, you develop the dark spots on most of the areas that are exposed to sun, i.e. face, hand, neck, feet, etc.
Besides, in-depth exposure to sun and sunburn also induces pigmentation, which develops into age spots.
Do age spots signify poor liver functions?
Until a few years, age spots were also termed as liver spots. It was believed that people developed age spots due to malfunction of the liver.
Liver influences the skin health. Especially, any damage to liver or spleen manifests through skin. For instance, jaundice or yellow fever. It is a condition that affects your liver but exhibited through yellowish tone to your skin!
So, it was strongly believed that poor function of liver lead to age spots. However, according to the recent study about age spots and liver functions by Medline Plus, it was revealed that age spots have nothing to do with liver functions and vice versa.
Yet, still, in medical terms, brown spots are often termed as liver spots.
How to get rid of Age Spots
Remember, age spots aren’t dangerous. Often it doesn’t require any treatment, unless you find the dark spots or pigmentation ruining your appearance.
Age spots can be treated by,
- Home Remedies and Natural Treatments
- Topical Creams and Lotions
- Skin Treatments or Dermatology Procedures
Home Remedies to get rid of Age Spots
There are many home remedies to get rid of age spots. Using simple ingredients, fruits and vegetables at home, you can easily fade away the dark spots and get rid of pigmentation of the skin. Following is the list of top home remedies for age spots based on different skin types.
Top 5 Home Remedies for Age Spots
1. Lemons to treat age spots (Oily and Normal Skin)
When life throws lemons at you, catch it, squeeze it and apply on your face!!! Jokes apart!!
When it comes to pigmentation or dark spots or any blemishes in your skin, lemon is the first ingredient you should consider. Lemon is a natural bleaching element and fades away the spots. Lemon contains citric acid and which acts as bleaching agent to help you get rid of dark spots.
Things you need:
Fresh lemon – A few drops
How to apply lemon?
- Just dab a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon on the pigmentation or dark spot.
- Don’t go out immediately after applying lemon on your skin. Citric acid is very sensitive to UV rays and may worsen the aging signs and spots.
Lemon is not recommended if your skin is sensitive and dry!
Do it twice a day and you will find the results in 3 to 4 weeks.
2. Use Buttermilk as a bleaching agent to fade away age spots and pigmentation (Dry, Normal and Sensitive Skin)
Buttermilk works exactly like lemon except for citric acid. Buttermilk has lactic acid. The buttermilk should be slightly sour and it doesn’t carry the smell of milk!
Things you need:
- Sour butter milk
- Cotton ball
How to apply:
- Soak cotton ball in buttermilk
- Generously apply buttermilk on the pigmented area and brown spots.
- Pat it dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
Do it once a day.
Buttermilk is also one of the home remedies for tanning, one of the causes of dark patches and spots on your skin.
3. Honey and Yogurt to get rid of age spots (For all Skin Types)
Honey is a Natural Wonder that can be used on all skin types. Honey is a natural cleanser, moisturizer, and an anti aging ingredient. Honey makes your skin supple and young. Similarly, yogurt is a not so popular skincare remedy that provides wondrous benefits to skin. Yogurt provides relief from sun burns, scars and pigmentation. This combo makes a wonderful home remedy for getting rid of age spots.
Things you need:
- Honey – 2 teaspoons
- Yogurt – 2 teaspoons (take both ingredients in equal portions)
How to apply:
- Blend honey and yogurt well
- Apply on the dark spots and pigmented skin
- Stay put for 30 minutes
- Wash your skin with warm water
Do it once a day at night!
4. Sandalwood Paste to lighten the dark spots (Suitable for Sensitive, Oily and Normal Skin)
Sandalwood is a natural cooling agent. It subside the irritation, spots and blemishes on the skin. It is an effective ingredient that brightens the skin tone and adds natural glow to your skin. This is one of the best home remedies for pigmentation. It is also an anti aging element that addresses aging signs.
Things you need:
- Sandalwood powder or sandalwood stick (this is recommended)
- Rose water (optional)
How to apply:
- Mix sandalwood powder in water or rosewater until you get creamy consistency
- If you have sandalwood stick, rub it on a stone or floor with water and apply the paste.
- Apply on the dark spots and pigmentation.
You can do it daily for twice or thrice. However, if you have a cold body or prone to catch cold, don’t apply it at night.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of Age Spots (Suitable for oily skin and normal skin with no acne breakouts)
Apple cider vinegar is counted as one of the ingredients with numerous healing benefits to skin and health. It works like a skincare procedure to get rid of brown spots on your skin. Simply, it dries out the skin and exfoliates the dried and dead cells.
Things you need:
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 or 3 teaspoons (depends upon the extent of brown spots)
- Water – To dilute the cider if you feel your skin may get hurt
How to apply:
- Just mix apple cider vinegar and water.
- Apply the mixture on the age spots.
- It will dry out in a couple of minutes.
You can apply it many times a day as long as it doesn’t hurt your skin.
Topical Creams and Medications to get rid of Age Spots
Your dermatologist may prescribe skin lightening or bleaching creams to fade away the dark spots. However, it will take several weeks to months to reduce the pigmentation on the skin. Generally, the prescription cream or lotion contains hydroquinone, a skin lightening ingredient and retinoid.
Common ingredients that fades the age spots:
- Glycolic Acid
- Sun Block
Use Hydroquinone to get rid of Age Spots
Hydroquinone is an effective bleaching cream that is specifically formulated to reduce the dark spots and brown spots on your skin.
- Buy an over the counter cream with concentration of around 2 % hydroquinone.
- Don’t go for any creams or lotions with higher concentration as it might harm your skin and often need a prescription from your dermatologist.
- Usage of hydroquinone is restricted in many countries. It is always better to consult your doctor before you buy one.
Use Retinol or Retin-A to get rid of Age Spots
Retinol or Retin-A is the best anti aging product available in the market place. Besides treating wrinkles, fine lines and freckles on your face, it also treats the sun damaged skin and pigmentation.
- It is a vitamin A extract available in form of creams, gels and lotions in various concentrations.
- It is a powerful exfoliant that removes the external layer of skin and facilitates growth of fresh healthy skin.
- This is available only with a prescription from a doctor.
Use Glycolic Acid to get rid of Age Spots
It is a form of alpha hydroxy acid, used commonly in chemical peels. It is also an exfoliant.
- This ingredient is found in face wash and scrubs, where you apply the cream or lotion, let it stay on your skin for a few minutes and wash it off.
- It is a very harsh chemical and may lead to redness and inflammation of the skin. If your skin is sensitive, better avoid using glycolic acid to get rid of age spots.
- Always apply a moisturizer or hydrating serum after using glycolic acid.
Use Sun Block to get rid of Age Spots
Applying sun block or sun screen has nothing to do with reducing the pigmentation or fading away the dark spots. Rather, it prevents forming new spots and pigmentation.
Remember, if you apply bleaching or skin lightening creams to get rid of age spots, you should always wear sunscreen. The ingredients used in skin lightening cream increases your skin sensitivity to the UV rays and leads to more damage to your skin.
Skin Treatments and Procedures to get rid of Age Spots
If you are unsure about how to get rid of age spots naturally, you can seek professional diagnosis and treatment from a skincare specialist.
There are many skin procedures available that you can make the most to get rid of age spots such as laser skin resurfacing and chemical peels etc. Cosmetic procedures and anti aging treatments for getting rid of age spots include the following:
Getting rid of age spots on face
- Chemical Peels – It removes the outer layer of the skin and aids growth of fresh skin. Chemical peel is generally recommended when you have age spots on your face and applied all over the face.
- Dermabrasion – It softens the age spots and sand-off gradually which produces new and fresh skin. It targets the particular age spot.
Getting rid of age spots on all parts of body (face, neck, arms, and leg)
- Cryo Therapy – It refers to freezing the skin cells. It focuses on killing the particular cells of the skin where you develop age spot by freezing it.
- Laser Therapy – It destroys the cells that secrete more melanin i.e. the dark spots
- Laser Resurfacing – Removes the top layer of the skin and generates fresh skin. However, it may have certain side effects too. For a better understanding, read Laser Skin Resurfacing and its Side Effects
However, when it comes to any kind of skin treatments, it poses certain degree of risks. Always talk to your doctor to find the best procedure to get rid of age spots.
How to Get Rid of Age Spots on Face Naturally
Beyond using the skincare creams and getting the cosmetic procedure, there are many natural cures available for getting rid of age spots, in the form of homemade cleansers and facemasks. The key is to have a proper skin care routine to not only get rid of age spots but also to prevent them in future.
How to get rid of age spots on face with proper skin care
Generally age spots appear in form of pigmentation on your facial skin, dark and brown spots below the eyes, cheeks, etc. A good skincare routine is essential to get rid of age spots. Follow this simple five step process everyday to maintain healthy skin and it gradually reduces the pigmentation and dark spots. Cleanse – Honey / Coconut oil
- Tone – Rose water
- Exfoliate – Salt or Sugar or Baking Soda
- Moisture – Aloe vera
- Apply sunscreen
Here is a detailed view on the best anti aging skin care routine.
Besides, apply the face packs given below to reduce the dark spots. You can either use the skincare products or use natural ingredients.
Homemade Face Masks to get rid of age spots on face
Here is the list of some simple face packs that can reduce the dark spots and pigmentation on your face.
Things you need: One potato and a few drops of fresh lemon juice
- Peel the potato skin and shred the raw potato
- Extract the juice of the potato or grind it into a fine paste
- Add a few drops of lemon juice
- Apply the juice or paste on your face or on the dark spots
- Wash it after 20 minutes
You can do this daily.
Gram Flour and Milk Mask
Things you need: 1 cup gram flour (besan) and a few teaspoons of rosewater.
(Optional ingredient: You can also use yogurt (for dry skin) or milk (for oily skin) instead of rosewater)
- Mix gram flour with rosewater and make a fine paste with no lumps
- Apply the paste generously on your face
- Let it dry and wash after 15 to 20 minutes
Gram flour deep cleanses the skin and removes the impurities. Rosewater is a natural skin cleanser and toner. This face mask provides instant brightness. You can apply it once a day and can get rid of the dark spots in a month.
Papaya and Green Tea Mask
Things you need: Ripe papaya and half cup green tea
- Mash the ripe papaya pulp
- Add green tea to the mashed pulp
- Blend this mixture to make a smooth paste
- You can add or reduce green tea to get the smooth and soft texture of the mask
- Apply the mask on your face.
- Let it dry for 20 to 30 minutes
- Wash with cold water
Both green tea and papaya has rich skin nourishing properties. It eases away the dark spot and pigmentation. It also reduces the aging signs, providing an even skin tone.
How to get rid of age spots on forehead?
Pigmentation appears very commonly on your forehead. You can easily get an uneven skin tone in your forehead with a few weeks of sun exposure. Age spots on forehead generally manifest in form of pigmentation. Here is the list of few easy remedies to get rid of age spots on forehead.
Frozen Cumin and Rice Water
This is one of the most powerful remedies to get rid of pigmentation and age spots on forehead.
Things you need:
- Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Rice – half a cup
- Water – 1-2 cups
- A vessel to boil
How to make it?
- Boil cumin seeds in water and filter the cumin. Cumin releases many essential oils when boiled.
- Add rice to the cumin water and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into ice tray and freeze it.
- Rub the ice cubes on forehead and even on your face.
Neem and Rose Water
Neem is one of the miraculous ingredients with abundant healing properties. In ancient days, neem was the major remedy used to cure the boils, blisters and spots on skin. It reduces the pigmentation, blemishes and age spots on skin. You can apply neem in two ways. Since neem is very strong, adding rose water is recommended.
Things you need:
- Fresh neem leaves
- Rose water
How to make it: Method one
- Grind the fresh neem leaves into fine paste
- Add rose water
- Apply the paste on forehead and remove it after 20 minutes
How to make it: Method Two (A milder version for sensitive skin)
- Boil neem leaves in water (don’t add too much water – A handful of leaves in two cups of water)
- Filter the water and let it cool down
- Add rose water.
- Soak cotton ball and apply it on your forehead
Sandalwood and milk
Sandalwood and milk combo reduces the pigmentation and nourishes your skin.
Things you need:
- Sandalwood powder or paste
- 1/4th cup chilled milk
How to make it:
- Add the sandal wood paste or powder to the milk and blend it nicely.
- You can either make it a creamy paste or watery mixture.
- Apply the paste on the forehead and wash it after half an hour.
- If you make a watery mixture, soak a cotton ball and apply it the pigmented area
How to get rid of age spots on arms?
The texture and tone of the facial skin varies a lot with texture of skin on your arms and legs. Yet, you develop age spots on arms and legs due to sun exposure. Generally you will develop age spots around your wrist and back of the palm.
Facial skin is quite sensitive than other parts of the body. So, you cannot use certain ingredients on your face as it might harm your skin and cause further damage. For instance, you should not go out immediately after applying any natural bleaching cream as UV rays may further aggravate the age spots. However, you can dare to use certain stronger ingredients on your arms to get rid of age spots there.
Following are the few natural cures for getting rid of age spots on arms.
Things you need:
Fresh garlic cloves (2 or 3 pods)
How to apply:
- Peel fresh garlic cloves and crush it.
- Just rub the crushed garlic on dark spots on arms and rinse off in warm water after 15 minutes.
Garlic may cause moderate to severe irritation when it is applied on facial skin. However it may be subtle on the skin on your arms. You can do it once or twice a day. Remember, garlic may smell bad and you should not apply it if you go out immediately after rubbing garlic.
Oats is a natural exfoliating ingredient. Rubbing oatmeal on your skin removes the dead cells and facilitates growth of fresh skin. Milk is a skin cleanser. The oat scrub lightens the pigmentation on your arms and reduces the dark spots.
Things you need:
- Oats flakes – 3 teaspoon
- Milk – 3 teaspoon
How to apply:
- Powder the oats and mix with milk.
- You can add or reduce the quantity of milk to get a creamy texture.
- Apply the paste on the dark spots.
- Leave it for 5-15 minutes.
- Then gently scrub it away, if needed, use a little warm water.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
How to get rid of age spots on legs?
To get rid of age spots on legs, you can use all remedies mentioned above for age spots on arms. Getting age spots on legs is usual. It is not just your face and neck that is prone to age spots these parts are exposed to sun. When you don’t extend proper skincare on your legs, you develop age spots also on your skin there. Age spots also develop on dry and aged skin and the skin on your legs is drier than other parts of your body. Age spots generally develop with freckles and dryness of skin.
Although you feel awkward or uncomfortable to wear short dresses, age spots on legs aren’t merely about beauty. You should try appropriate remedies for getting rid of age spots on legs.
Often, we forget or ignore moisturizing the legs. Lack of moisture also leads to age spots on legs. Besides, poor moisturizing aggravates aging spots. When you moisturize your face and hands, don’t forget your legs. You can use body lotion with moisturizing properties. Or simply you can apply coconut oil or almond oil as natural moisturizers.
- Apply moisturizer after you take bath (it prevents dryness of the skin)
- Massage your legs daily with coconut oil or olive oil every night at least 30 minutes before you go to bed.
Exfoliation is the best way to remove the dark spots and pigmented skin on legs. If you are hesitant to use chemical peels or bleaching creams, you can naturally exfoliate your skin.
Things you can use as natural exfoliant for legs
- Crystal salt or Pink salt (recommended)
- Baking Soda
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How to apply?
- Except baking soda you can directly rub any of the above ingredients on the legs, specifically on the dark spots.
- If you use baking soda, mix it with water, make a paste and rub the paste.
In addition, rejuvenating and skin brightening packs and scrubs will reduce the dark spots on your arms and legs.
General tips on getting rid of age spots naturally
Get the UV protection from internally.
Eat a lot of fresh tomatoes. Tomatoes protect your skin from sun damage. Tomatoes are a lesser known ingredient that protects you and even reverses the sun damages.
Keep your body cool
When you check the above ingredients listed to get rid of age spots, most of them are cooling ingredients. Excessive heat caused by UV rays affects the body, which produces more melanin and leads to hyper pigmentation. So, keep your body cool.
- Use aloevera at least thrice a week and apply the fresh gel on skin
- Eat a lot of cooling foods like cucumber, water melon and other melons, other water based fruits and vegetables.
Vitamin A, C and E are essential vitamins for skin. Eat vitamin rich foods to reduce the age spots and pigmentation.
- Citrus Fruits
- Nuts and seeds
Here is the list of best anti aging foods that will help you get all the essential vitamins and nutrients.
Vitamin E oil on age spots
Buy vitamin E oil or capsules. Pop the capsule and apply the oil on age spots. Do it regularly and within a couple of weeks, you can find the difference.
Follow anti aging regimen
Although aging is not an apparent reason for age spots, following an anti aging regimen help you manage your skin free from blemishes and age spots.
- Eat a lot of fresh produce
- Stick to healthy and balanced diet.
- Eat at least one whole fruit everyday. In fact, a mix of various fruits is the best thing to have. To get maximum benefits, eat anti-aging fruits
- Avoid the foods that age you faster.
- Reduce caffeine. You may go for green tea or herbal tea instead of coffee
- A strict no to alcohol
- Stay active
- Enjoy tight sleep
Brace yourself from sun exposure
- Try to avoid going out between 11 am to 3 pm.
- Wear hats or cover your head with stoles, hats or any other cloth or accessory.
- Protect your eyes (and skin around the eyes) by wearing high quality sun glasses
- Don’t forget wearing sunscreen before stepping out in sun
- Wear full sleeves, long skirts, and pants. Cover your body parts as much as you can, just to avoid the harmful sunrays and tanning.
- Avoid tanning beds until the age spots vanish away. You can use these homemade anti-tan packs to get rid of tanning faster.
Application of sunscreen with a minimum of 30 SPF is recommended. Remember, age spots don’t develop overnight. Prolonged exposure to sun and UV rays cause the pigmentation and age spots. So, you cannot expect quicker result. Besides, no single remedy or treatment may provide good result. A combination of various home remedies along with proper skincare is essential to get rid of age spots.