There are many things that can betray the appearance of a woman. Turkey neck is one of those things that make an uncanny appearance.
Neck is a unique part in your body. Saggy neck looks more awkward than wrinkled eye or crow’s feet. Unfortunately, this is a major part that is often left out of the beauty or skin care regimen. It is not considered a part of facial skin either when it comes to applying makeup or any face pack, etc.
The President, Mr. Rajiv Grover, The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons states that neck is the difficult part of the body to deal with. In fact, any treatment to neck may not be very effective. It will be less effective and may not give you desired results. This is the major reason why even in celebrities who look dashingly young with supple skin tend to suffer from saggy neck. Faces are lucky to get some surgery or treatments to look younger, while the neck shows what the real age is!
Even if your hands and face show you are younger, neck can belie how old you are, how you have fallen prey for aging signs and how your lifestyle is!
So, bags in your neck, (not your double chin) isn’t something easy to get rid of. But as they say, nothing is impossible too!
What is Turkey Neck all about!
The excess of skin on the neck is called turkey neck! This is hardest to fix! It is called so, because it exactly looks like the bags you find on a turkey’s neck!
Turkey neck is about loose skin on the neck i.e. saggy skin, excessive fat and flabby muscles. Already gave a small introduction about how difficult it is to treat turkey neck or conditions related to neck! However, you can still try some simple home remedies and tips to get rid of those awkward baggy muscles in your neck.
What Causes Turkey Neck
Why the necks look so old, faster than face or skin? The reason is very simple. Neck has very few oil glands to keep it supple. It is supported by muscles. Of course, it has many important parts that connect with the body and aids in many vital functions. The leathery muscles of the neck are more likely to sag quickly. When the skin on the neck dries, it often goes unattended.
Turkey neck is all about your skin. What happens to your neck may happen to your facial skin. It is not associated with any organ related functions, rather an outcome of aging and poor care on skin on your neck.
Aging and Sun Exposure are the Major Culprits
Just think about the different clothes you wore so far. You would have loved to wear the clothes in different styles with different neck designs (that is important and note it). Hardly, you have worn something that covered your neck like polar neck jumpers. Be thankful to the extremely cold climates where you covered your neck at least for a few days.
Unless you have worn something that completely covers your neck and chest area, the neck is often exposed to sun rays.
Neck is actually a major part that is exposed often from the day you born. Whether it is a school girl or a teen or a young working woman or a middle aged woman, neck is just under the constant attack of sun light, just like your face and hands (specifically, back of your palm). These are the parts those ages very fast.
Well, as mentioned above, neck is not included in facial rituals and often you develop all the turkey like neck when you cross the middle of 30s!
From the face of it, it is quite apparent that aging and sun exposure are the two major causes of turkey neck.
Poor Collagen Production
Loss of elasticity of the skin is caused due to aging process, where the body doesn’t produce enough collagen to retain the elasticity of the skin. When the connective tissues are damaged and broken, they get deposited in the deeper layer of the skin. With no production of supportive collagen or connective tissues, skin loses the flexibility and strength. All these leads to saggy skin, which causes turkey neck.
It can be caused by,
- Normal aging
- Premature aging due to inappropriate lifestyle
- Excessive sun exposure, frequent visits to tanning salon, etc.
- Weak muscles
It is Genetic Design
Yes it! You would have cherished to inherit a few lovely things from your mom. Be wary that if your mom has turkey neck, you are more likely to develop the one as you age. Turkey skin develops as a part of aging process and sun exposure but if you are genetically disposed to it, you can get it faster than expected!
Hormones can be blamed for a majority of health ailments that affect women. A drop in hormone levels or fluctuations affect your skin in many ways, one of which is turkey neck.
Fat is another cause of turkey neck. Turkey neck is very common in obese or overweight women. Women tend to develop the extra flab on their belly and face. If you have extra fat, it gets stored in the neck too.
How to Manage Turkey Neck
A few may think that turkey neck is something unavoidable as a part of aging. It is just like weakening of muscles, poor vision, etc. that are obvious during aging process. Although it is true, turkey neck can really be uncomfortable. It makes you look a decade older, even when you are no older than 40 years.
So, don’t panic when you develop turkey neck. Don’t think about any surgical intervention to remove the baggy neck. There are many simple and easy home remedies you can try to get rid of turkey neck.
Remember, addressing an issue in neck needs a long term care. Just think about thyroid problems. If it is low level thyroid, you need to take medications for years.
So, don’t try something for a few days and worry or ignore that it is not working! Try a few of the home remedies daily as a part of your daily ritual just as you do your daily moisturizing. Just like you eat and sleep, stick to these home remedies for turkey neck.
Some of the remedies mentioned here are more about lifestyle changes. So, it is not a big deal to incorporate some minor changes in your lifestyle. Are you ready to get rid of turkey neck and reduce a decade from your age?
So, here we go!
Top Home Remedies for Turkey Neck Skin
The best remedy for turkey neck is prevention. If you have already started feeling the saggy skin around your neck, concentrate more on tightening the saggy skin. Take help of these easy home remedies for skin tightening.
If you have already developed turkey neck, try these simple remedies for turkey neck.
Yes. Maintaining good posture is essential even for eliminating turkey neck. How to improve posture for turkey neck?
When you sleep
- Don’t sleep on your face.
- Sleeping flat on your back is good for face and neck. It reduces the aggravating signs of aging.
- Keep your neck stretched when you sleep.
- Try to keep your chin up even during your sleep.
- If you used to sleep on your side, make sure to fill the gap between the neck and shoulder. The neck needs a support, which improves turkey neck.
- Don’t use two pillows.
When you sit
- Don’t bend forward when you sit
- Computer neck is a bad posture. Slightly lowering the head towards the computer monitor, where the chin looks downwards. Don’t do this.
- Always keep the chin up.
- Sit straight, hold the head high and relax your shoulders.
Massaging the skin improves the blood flow to the massaged area. Massaging turkey neck is the easy and effective way to get rid of the bulge on your neck. It tones your neck as well as your face.
- Gently massage the turkey neck in circular motions.
- If you already have a roller, (a skin role or a facial roller), role it from your chin to chest and vice versa.
- If you don’t have a roller, you can even use a pen to roll upwards and downwards.
- Massaging and rolling the neck drains the lymphatic system and reduces the turkey neck.
Moisturize neck with cream or oil
Although neck is an extension of facial skin, it doesn’t contain many oil glands like face. So, it is easily prone to dryness. Besides, neck contains very few melanocytes, which enables sun protection. So, neck is easily exposed to develop a lot of wrinkles and turn saggy.
Retaining the moisture in the neck area prevents the aggravation of turkey neck and gradually reduces it. Apply oil or cream to tone your neck and give a face lift, every day.
- Apply the cream upwards and gently massage.
- You can moisturize the neck any time.
- Remember to put some oil or cream in the morning and night.
- Don’t need to look for some expensive or rich moisturizing cream.
- Just dab a coat of coconut oil or vitamin E or almond oil, any oil that is suitable for topical application!
Think of Neck as an extended face
Will you ignore saggy skin or droopy under eyes? Aging signs cannot be avoided. At the same time, you need not simply bear it. So, think your neck is an extension of your face. Do all the facial rituals to your face.
- When you wash your face, wash your neck area also.
- Apply cleanser, toner and exfoliating agent extending to your neck
- You can even apply serum on the neck.
- Put sunscreen on the neck
And yes, cover it properly when you are out in the sun!
Chew Your Gum (several times a day)
Chewing gum is one of the simple remedies for many beauty concerns. It makes one of the best exercises for your face and neck. When you chew gums, it makes all facial muscles work. This helps in toning the muscles, enables good blood circulation and maintains the healthy texture of the muscles. Chewing gum also works your neck muscles and gives a good workout.
- Chew a gum at any time, every time possible
- If you worry about calorie intake, go for sugar free gums
- The ideal options will be peppermint flavored sugar free gum.
Regardless of the health condition you suffer from, you are more likely to notice weight loss as a major remedy and a part of treatment for turkey neck. Understand that fat deposits or excess fat in the body also causes turkey neck. If you are obese and find a turkey neck, excess fat is the culprit. So, weight loss is the best remedy for turkey neck, if you are overweight!
Go walking. Walking is a low key aerobics and helps you burn more fat than calories. It costs you nothing and you can do it very easily.
Go for Anti-Aging Regimen
Aging is the major cause of turkey neck. Following an anti-aging regimen helps you further drooping or sagging skin on your neck. Besides, it also improves the sagginess of the neck. These Natural anti aging remedies are in fact the regimen that you should follow.
Best Facial Exercises for Turkey Neck
When you see turkey neck ruining your appearance and making you look aged, it makes you think often about getting a cosmetic procedure to get rid of that fat or drooping skin. Yes, botox is one of the promising treatments for turkey neck. Yet, it can compromise many functions and pose many risks.
Besides following a good daily anti aging skin care routine (which includes your neck as a part of it), there are some exercises that can help you firm the loose skin and drooping neck.
There are many simple neck stretching exercises that can reduce the dropping neck and make the turkey neck firm. You can do these exercises as a full set of exercise, once or twice a day.
- Sit or stand straight with body erect
- Slowly raise your head and tilt your head backwards.
- Ensure your neck is stretched the maximum possible without hurting you.
- Hold in this position for 10 to 30 counts and slowly lower your head.
Side Stretches – Method 1
- Turn your head right and try to touch the shoulder with your chin.
- Do it very slowly.
- Hold for 10 counts and return back to normal position
- Turn your head left and repeat the process.
Side Stretches – Method 2
- Tilt your head right side and touch the right shoulder with right ear.
- Hold for 10 counts and raise your head.
- Repeat it with left side.
- Lower your head and try to touch the chest with chin
- Hold in this position for 20 to 30 counts
- Raise your head slowly
These are some simple stretches that not only treats turkey neck, but also strengthen your neck muscles. You can also prevent neck pain with these exercisess.
Open and Close Mouth
This is a very simple exercise for turkey neck.
- Sit or stand straight.
- Open your mouth as much as you can
- Tilt your head back and see the roof.
- Hold it for 10 counts
- Return back to normal position.
Move your tongue a bit more (other than you move it for eating and talking) to tone the neck muscles and reduce the droopiness of saggy turkey neck.
- Sit comfortable with relaxed shoulders and face.
- Close your mouth.
- Push the tongue upwards on the root of the mouth and lower the chin.
- Hold for 10 counts.
Circle your tongue
- Sit relaxed with mouth closed.
- Roll your tongue inside your mouth.
- Circle it from right to left at the maximum speed you can for 20 times.
- Do it from left to right.
- You can feel the neck muscles moving.
Do Faces to get rid of turkey neck
There are numerous facial exercise and simple movements that you can try. Here are some simple workouts for you to tone the skin and reduce the drooping neck.
You have a smart phone! You have hundreds of smiley face icons in your phone. Try to do some 5 to 10 smiley faces.
A few examples:
- Pig face – blow a imaginary kiss
- Smile wide without opening your mouth or showing your teeth
- Smile wide with open mouth showing teeth
- Shrink your face in anger
- Sit or stand straight and keep your shoulder relaxed.
- Look upward and see the ceiling.
- Make sure to hold the chin aligned to what you see.
- Roll your lower lip on upper lip and try to wrap the upper lip inside the lower one as much as possible.
- Hold in this position for 20 to 30 counts.
- If you find it difficult to do with raised head, you can try it while looking straight.
Weird Face Expressions
There is so much expression you can do to get rid of turkey neck.
- Do some weird face expressions.
- Open and close your mouth.
- Swallow air and hold in your mouth with inflated cheeks.
- Rotate your face
- Blow a kiss to the sky, to the floor
Top Home Remedies for Sagging Skin on Neck
Sagging skin on neck is the warning sign that you are only a few steps away from getting turkey neck. So, when you notice the saggy skin on your neck, try these simple home remedies to prevent getting turkey neck.
Egg white is the best home remedy for saggy skin. Not only egg whites make your skin glow, it also firms it.
- What you need is egg whites from 2 or 3 eggs.
- Don’t whisk or blend it
- Apply it on your neck and even your face.
- If you don’t like the smell, add a few drops of any essential oil.
- Let it dry until you feel that the egg white is pulling your skin.
- Gently wash it with warm water.
- Do this thrice a week or every alternate day.
Within a couple of weeks, you can notice your saggy skin turning firm.
When it comes to any skin condition, lemon obviously holds a fair share in treating the ailment. Lemon is rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient for healthy and supple skin. Lemon treats and prevents the wrinkles and fine lines. In fact, it is one of the top foods to prevent wrinkles! It contains anti-oxidants which enables production of healthy skin cells and tissues.
- Squeeze a lemon and apply the juice on face and skin.
- Or slice a lemon and rub the slices all over your face including neck.
- Wash after 15 to 20 minutes.
Yes, you read it right. Feed porridge to your skin, especially, one of the healthiest oats porridge. Oats contain loads of fiber and is a healthy breakfast option. Feed oats to your saggy skin on neck.
- Oats can actually create a binding effect on your skin.
- It reduces the skin sagginess and makes the skin firm.
- It is a natural exfoliating agent.
How to apply oats to your neck
- You need a cup of oats.
- Grind the oat bran and mix with water. You can also add lemon juice or egg white, which is optional.
- You can add a teaspoon of sugar, as sugar is a natural exfoliator.
- Make a semi-solid mixture.
- Gently rub this mixture on your neck for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off.
- It will remove the dead skin cells and improve blood circulation.
- Cook a cup of oat meal and blend it into a nice paste.
- Add lemon or egg white (optional)
- Apply the mask on your face and skin.
- Let it dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
You can try this twice or thrice a week.
Aloe vera is one of the miraculous medicinal plants, a gift from Mother Nature. Regular application of aloe vera simply transforms your skin texture and health for better.
- It has amazing moisturizing properties.
- Contains anti-oxidants, which reduces and prevents the aging signs.
- Improves collagen production and makes the skin firmer.
How to use aloe vera?
- Just extract fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf.
- Blend the gel for easy application.
- Apply the gel on your skin and face.
- Rinse it off after 15 or 20 minutes.
- You can also rub the inside part of the leaf on your face and neck.
Tips to reduce the saggy skin on neck
- Hydrate yourself to retain moisture in the body.
- Wash your face with cold water and splash water on your face and neck.
- Apply warm and cold compress to improve the blood flow and reduce swelling.
- Massage your face and neck every day to get a natural face lift.
- Get adequate sleep. Good sleep delays aging process and helps managing healthy skin.
Do these home remedies for turkey neck and saggy skin on neck regularly to avoid as well as slow down aging. Stay healthy and happy!