Gray hair is certainly agonizing! Seeing a strand of gray hair might be more terrifying than anything else for many of us. Although many take it as a gracious sign of aging and don’t bother to reverse or prevent graying of hair, most of us can’t stand the silver locks. But aging is not the only factor that turns our hair gray. Hair strands turn gray due to many factors.
How does hair turn gray?
Regardless of the causes for premature graying of hair or graying of hair even at 40s, the reason behind is gradual loss of pigment cells in the hair follicle. These pigment cells or Melanocytes only are responsible for producing melanin that gives color to our hair. Melanin is also responsible for our skin color. Improper function of melanin or melanin deficiency thus, leads to graying of hair. The design of your genes also affect melanocytes and leads to discoloration of hair!
What are the Permanent Solutions for Gray Hair?
No, they are not hair colors and cosmetics! It’s true that coloring and cosmetic treatment are the two most common solutions available to treat gray hair but coloring isn’t safe. Although some hair coloring solutions and dyes come with a tag ‘natural’ or ‘organic’, they contain a certain percentage of ammonia and other chemicals to bind the coloring agent. As far as cosmetic hair treatment to reverse gray hair are concerned, they are really expensive!
Besides, these treatments just focus on addressing the gray hair and doesn’t really care about what causes gray hair. If you get the cosmetic hair coloring treatment without getting medicines for your thyroid issues, for example, it is a total waste of time and efforts!
Some remedies prevent further graying of hair and sometimes even reverse graying of hair. These can be called the top remedies for gray hair!
Top 2 Home Remedies for Gray Hair
These are the two most effective natural remedies for gray hair after henna of course! Henna, by far, is the best remedy for gray hair. If you want to know how, read How to Get Rid of Gray Hair Naturally!
Home remedies are relatively safe and more effective than cosmetic treatments for gray hair. You can make some effective solutions with simple ingredients available at your home and deal with your gray hair without any side effects.
1. Curry Leaves for Gray Hair
When it comes to hair, the top most ingredient that can bring miraculous changes to your hair is curry leaves. Curry leaves, although highly nutritious, have been overlooked for years. Of late, since more people are resorting towards natural remedies, curry leaves are preferred by most as one of the best remedies for gray hair.
Curry leaves contain iron, proteins, anti-oxidants, flavonoids, fiber and a lot other minerals. The mineral content in the curry leaves perhaps help prevent premature graying of hair. Anti-oxidants in curry leaves rejuvenate the scalp and hair. These leaves add a lustrous texture to the hair and aids hair growth.
How to Use Curry Leaves for Gray Hair
Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil:
- Boil a handful of curry leaves in 100 ml coconut oil.
- Keep the flame low and heat the oil until the oil turns dark.
- Let the mixture stay put overnight.
- Extract the oil and apply regularly to your hair and scalp.
Alternatively, you can grind the curry leaves into paste and boil in coconut oil.
You can use this oil as daily hair oil or before taking oil bath.
Hair Packs with Curry Leaves
The medicinal properties of curry leaves get absorbed into the scalp upon regular application of curry leaves. This helps control gray hair.
Curry Leaves Paste
A simple hair pack with tremendous benefits.
- Boil two cups of curry leaves for three to four minutes. (Boiling helps grinding the curry leaves into a nice paste)
- Don’t add too much water. The paste might become watery.
- Grind the leaves into soft paste and apply the paste on the scalp and hair.
- Rinse the hair after 30 minutes.
Curry Leaves and Curd Hair Pack
If your hair is dry and weak, add curd! Curd is a natural hair conditioner, which makes the brittle hair quite soft and silky. Additionally, it contains gray hair.
- Take equal portions of curd and curry leaves (Choose it according to the length of the hair)
- Grind the curry leaves into a fine paste and mix with curd, blend it well.
- Apply the paste on the hair from root to the tip and massage your scalp.
- Let the hair pack stay put for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse the hair with warm water.
Curry Leaves and Lemon Pack
Lemon is rich in antioxidants. It aids in reversing the discoloration of the gray strands. It makes your hair shine and bouncy.
- Squeeze, two or three lemons to the curry leaves paste and apply on your hair.
- Rinse the hair with warm water after 20 minutes.
If you have a cold body, avoid using lemon.
Eat Curry Leaves
Beyond topical application, eating a lot of curry leaves also reverses the discoloration of the gray hair strands.
Eating curry leaves on an empty stomach (after drinking water in the morning, before drinking coffee or other hot beverage) provides more benefits. Otherwise, you can eat some curry leaves at any time.
- It purifies your blood and increases the hemoglobin level.
- It also aids in weight loss.
Topical application of curry leaves provides instant results. Upon regular use, you can reverse the gray hair.
2. Amla or the Indian Gooseberry
Next to curry leaves, Amla is the most sought after remedy to treat gray hair. Amla doesn’t have any direct properties that provides natural pigment to the hair. Yet, it can do a lot to treat your gray hair. In fact, you can eat or drink amla every day to regain the lost charm in your body.
Amla is called the elixir of youth! Amla is the best natural remedy that reverses aging signs! The tiny fruit is more nutritious than some big fruit chunks! Both topical application of amla as well as the regular intake of amla help treat gray hair.
How to use Amla to treat gray hair?
Eat one amla everyday
The best way to get the most of amla is eating it on an empty stomach. However, you should do it regularly. The results may not be very quick, but certainly promising. Eat raw amla or amla soaked in honey every day, in the morning.
Organic amla extracts are available in the market place. You can buy the organic extract and consume amla juice every day.
Amla Hair Oil
The results may show only upon regular application of amla oil. It may take a minimum of 2 months to address the discoloration of hair.
- Cut the amla into small pieces and dry it under the natural sunlight.
- Heat coconut oil and put the dried amla
- Let the oil stay on flame until the amla turns charred
- Leave it overnight and extract the oil
- Apply the oil regularly.
Amla Hair Pack
If you suffer from hair loss or any other hair problems along with gray hair, you can try this hair pack to rejuvenate the scalp and strengthen the hair roots.
Things you need:
- 2 cups amla
- 1 cup or adequate quantity of coconut oil / buttermilk
(Buttermilk is a good cleanser for your hair and adds a nice texture to the hair)
How to make it:
- Boil 2 cups of amla and mash it. (Remove the seeds)
- Add coconut oil or buttermilk to get a gooey consistency.
- Apply it on your hair and gently massage the scalp while applying.
- Wash the hair after a minimum of 30 minutes. If you wish, you can stay with the pack longer.
Multipurpose DIY Hair Oil
Here is the recipe to the DIY multi-purpose oil. This hair oil treats most of the hair conditions, from dry hair to premature graying of hair. What’s there in this oil?
Henna – Natural Pigment
Amla – A nutritious fruit having the ability to reverse gray hair
Curry leaves – Add natural color to your hair and make it strong
Fenugreek seeds – Treats thinning of hair and strengthen hair roots
Neem Leaves – Antiseptic properties, treats scalp problems
Basil – Contains Antiseptic, antioxidant properties and enhances blood flow to the scalp
Hibiscus flowers – Contains properties similar to henna and rich in antioxidants. It provides a nice texture and extra softness to the hair
Bhringraj – A time tested ayurvedic herb, a herbal remedy for hair problems
Almond oil – Contains vitamin E which prevents hair from damages
Things you need:
- 2 cups of Henna (fresh or dried leaves)
- 2 cups Amla
- 2 cups curry leaves
- ½ cup fenugreek seeds
- ½ cup neem leaves
- 1 cup tulsi aka holy basil leaves (optional)
- 5 to 6 dried hibiscus flowers (red)
- A bunch of Bhringraj (both leaves and flowers)
- 500 Ml (less or more) coconut oil
- 1 cup of almond oil
- A few drops of essential oil to add aroma
How to make it:
You can prepare this oil in two ways.
- Dry all the ingredients under the natural sunlight (Except fenugreek seeds and oils) and powder it. (You may need at least three days to dry these ingredients)
- Grind all ingredients and make it into a rough paste.
- Make it into small balls and dry the balls.
If you have powdered all ingredients:
- Heat a pan, roast the fenugreek seeds and put the powdered ingredients
- Add coconut oil and keep it on low flame for 15 minutes
- You can also use a double boiler
- Remove from flame and let it cool
- Filter the oil the next day
- Finally, add almond oil to the filtered oil and use it regularly.
If you made the dried balls of all ingredients:
- Heat coconut oil, add fenugreek seeds and the dried balls.
- If the ingredients are dried completely, it won’t break
- Heat it for 15 to 20 minutes
- Extract the oil and add almond oil.
A bonus tip: Char the Bhringraj leaves and sauté with castor oil. Infuse the charred leaves in oil. It also acts as an instant hair color.
Why Coconut Oil?
- Coconut oil has deep penetrating effects on scalp.
- It nourishes the scalp and strengthens hair root.
- It stimulates blood flow.
- It is good for dry skin and dandruff too, at the same time it doesn’t look very oily on your hair. (There are exceptions where coconut oil may appear very sticky). Choose the virgin coconut oil.
Why Castor Oil ?
An optional ingredient is castor oil. Castor oil might not have a sweet smell. Just because not many love to apply castor oil, it is given as optional ingredient. However, it is quite beneficial for hair health.
- It enhances the color of the hair and makes it appear dark.
- It reverses the damage caused by chemical exposure.
- It makes the hair strands thicker and stronger.
When you get oil massage, mix 1 part of castor oil with 2 parts of DIY hair oil mix that you have made as per the recipe here. Massage your scalp and wash with herbal shampoo after at least half an hour!
Natural Hair Rinses for Gray hair
Herbal and homemade rinses are safe alternatives to dying or chemical hair coloring. These can be called home remedies for gray hair that are used to cover the gray hair due to their coloring properties. They are obviously temporary solutions for gray hair.
Rosemary and Sage Hair Rinse
The aromatic herbs not only uplift your mood and soothes the mind, they also add natural pigment to the gray strands. Also, they are quite effective as a topical application. Sage rinse is in fact one the traditional practices used for darkening brunette hair and for coloring gray hair.
Things you need:
- Rosemary and sage (fresh or dried) – one cup each
- 3 to 5 cups water
How to make it:
- Put the fresh or dried herbs in a vessel and add water
- Cover with lid when the water boils
- Boil water over low flame for 15 to 20 minutes
- Let the water cool down for a while
- Extract the water and use it as an herbal rinse after washing your hair.
You should make it a strong decoction to retain the dark color for a longer period.
Beetroot Hair Rinse
Beetroot is a beautiful root vegetable with an attractive color. It is not just one of the many nutritious anti aging food with powerful antioxidants but it also gives pigments to your hair almost instantly! You can use beets as a natural coloring agent to treat graying of hair.
Things you need
- 1 medium sized Beetroot
- 2 Cups water
- Essential Oil (any oil of your choice / optional)
How to make it:
- Peel the beetroot skin, shred the beets.
- Make its juice and dilute the juice with water
(Alternatively, you can also boil the shredded beets in water. )
- Add a few drops of essential oil to enhance the aroma of the rinse
- Apply the hair rinse on wet hair and wrap your hair for 15 minutes
- Massage the hair after applying beetroot rinse, it helps absorption of nutrients and rejuvenates scalp
- Rinse the hair with minimal water to retain the color.
You can also use beetroot just like henna. It adds more intensity to the color. However, there will be a very mild burgundy shade on your hair.
Curry Leaves Hair Rinse
We have known a lot about curry leaves earlier here in the section solely dedicated to curry leaves. You can also make a simple herbal rinse with curry leaves.
- Just grind a handful of curry leaves with a glass of water.
- Extract the dark green herbal rinse.
- After you wash your hair and squeeze out the water, rinse your hair with curry leaf juice.
- Don’t rinse the hair further, just wrap your hair in a soft towel and let it dry naturally.
Black Tea Hair Rinse
Yes, black tea rinse is a very effective and safer alternative than the so-called hair dyes and natural hair coloring solutions available in the market! Tea is full of antioxidants and flavonoids. It also contains natural pigments which adds a dark tone to the gray hair.
Things you need:
- 1 cup of black tea powder / black tea leaves (choose the organic product)
- 3 – 5 cups of water (You can alter the quantity of water and tea leaves accordingly. Yet, make a darker decoction)
How to make it:
Do you know how to brew tea? Just do it without adding milk!
- Boil the water and add the tea powder.
- Let it boil over a low flame for a couple of minutes
- Extract the water and use it as a rinse after it cools down a little.
Except the beetroot rinse, you don’t need to rinse your hair with water after applying of these hair rinses.
Tips to use hair rinses for gray hair
- Use the hair rinses on a semi-dry hair.
- The hair should not be fully dry. Squeeze the water from your hair and apply the hair rinse.
- The hair rinse works best on a clean hair. (Wash the hair on the day or day before you apply the rinse)
- Dry the hair in the natural sunlight. Don’t use hair dryers.
- You can just apply the hair rinse mixture on the areas and massage it gently.
Now, the choice is yours about what remedies you want to use for gray hair- the permanent remedies that prevent and control de-pigmentation of hair or the remedies that cover your gray hair temporarily? The best way is to use both types of home remedies for gray hair. Start with using natural hair coloring ingredients as hair masks or hair rinses to hide your gray hair. At the same time, use those remedies for gray hair that will prevent and control premature graying of hair by activating pigment cells of hair follicles. This will help you get rid of gray hair permanently!