Everyone loses a few strands of hair almost daily and it is quite natural. Hair fall becomes a concern when it leads to thinning of hair, balding and receding hair line. If you have been noticing all these, use some home remedies for hair fall and save your crowning glory!
These simple home remedies for hair fall will also save your wallet from burning out!
Easy Hair Fall Remedies
Warm Oil Massage – time tested home remedy for hair fall
In many countries, oil massaging had been a part of a life where both men and women massaged warm oil into their hair at least twice a week. Of course, it isn’t really easy to spend a good chunk of time a day to get the goodness of oil for your hair. Yet, remember, oil makes the best remedy for hair fall. Create this habit today just to stop your hair fall.
Oil massage improves blood circulation to your scalp, removes the dead skin cells and strengthens hair follicles. One of the triggers of hair fall is excessive body heat. It also reduces body heat.
- Sesame or coconut oil- as per your hair requirement
- Black pepper corns- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Mild shampoo or Shikakai herb
- Take a bowl of sesame oil (recommended) or coconut oil (you can decide on the quantity of the oil considering the volume and length of your hair)
- Heat the oil in a pan
- Add a teaspoon of black pepper corns and fenugreek seeds respectively (it balances the heat and cold in the body)
- Let the oil boil until you notice the bubbles
- Remove the oil from over the flame and let the temperature reduce
- Once the oil turn warm (should not turn cold) apply the oil from forehead to the tip of the hair
- Gently massage the scalp with oil. Do this for at least 15-20 minutes
- Wrap a towel and let the hair soak in oil for 1 hour
- Take bath in warm water and use shikakai powder or mild shampoo to wash the hair
- Make sure that the oil is completely washed off
Take oil bath at least once a week.
Fenugreek Seeds – The old age remedy to control hair fall in single application
Hair loss? Thinning hair? Want to stop your hair fall and grow long and thick hair? It would be a shocker for many of you to know that people in the ancient India used single ingredient to grow long and strong hair! It’s nothing but fenugreek seeds or the methi seeds!
Fenugreek seeds can effortlessly control hair fall in just a single application. You can literally notice the difference in the volume of hair after one wash. However, results may vary from person to person.
- Soak three or four teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a bowl of water or milk, overnight
- Grind the seeds into a paste. The consistency should be fluffy and soft
- Apply the paste on the scalp and across the length of the hair
- Massage the scalp with fingers
- Wrap a towel and tie the hair and let it stay for about 1 hour
- Wash and rinse hair with warm water and ensure that the paste is fully removed. It will be very sticky and hard to rinse
- You don’t need any shampoo to wash the hair
- Dry your hair properly
Do this twice a month. Eventually, your hair will become thicker and grow longer.
Egg mask – Feed protein to your hair to strengthen follicles and stop hair fall
You eat proteins to build muscles but mostly ignore the hair! Hair too is made of proteins. Strengthen the hair follicles to control hair fall and build your hair by feeding proteins.
If your hair breaks half way through when you comb, eggs come as savior. Egg mask strengthens the hair roots and strands, nourish the hair and even clear away the dandruffs.
- Eggs- 2-3
- Any Essential oil (optional)- few drops
- Water (optional)- few drops
- Break open two or three eggs and gently blend it (Don’t whisk it)
- Add a few drops of essential oil to mask the odd flavor of raw eggs if you are uncomfortable with the odor
- Dilute the mask with water if you find it sticky
- Apply the mask on the combed hair
- Let it stay on hair for 30 to 45 minutes
- Rinse with warm water and use the normal shampoo or conditioner you use
Egg mask makes your strands look glossy too!
Aloe vera nourishes hair follicles to stop hair fall
Aloe vera, yet again! Be it any skin or hair problem, aloe has its fair share in giving possible solutions. In fact not many are actually aware that aloe vera can control hair loss and stimulate growth of healthy lustrous locks. It cleanses the scalp, shrinks the pores and balances the pH level in the scalp (that’s something crucial for managing healthy hair). The cooling properties of aloe vera reduce the heat, thus preventing the breakage of hair strands. The enzyme rich aloe vera also provides the much needed nourishment to your hair.
- Aloe vera leaf or aloe vera gel
- your regular shampoo
- Collect a cup of fresh aloe gel (Always use the gel fresh to reap the maximum benefits)
- Add the gel to the shampoo you use and blend it well
- Wash your hair with this shampoo
- Do it every time you wash your hair
Castor Oil- No damage, breakage and no uncontrollable hair fall
Castor oil can be said the unsung hero for the gorgeous tresses. Just like fenugreek seeds, castor oil has been used extensively as hair oil in the ancient past. The rich and dense oil comes with loads of nourishing properties. It has amino acids, vitamin E and omega 3 fatty acids that are critical nutrients for healthy hair. It nourishes the hair from its root; strengthens the hair strands and controls hair fall as well as hair breakage. Regular application of castor oil thickens the hair follicles. The only thing is it is quite vicious and may not smell pleasant. But its advantages for hair are many and its odor is nothing compared to that.
- Castor oil
- Almond oil / coconut oil (optional)- few drops
- Heat castor oil using double boiler. In fact, you can heat it using any indirect heating method, just don’t let it come into direct contact of fire.
- Apply the oil warm on the scalp and gently massage the hair
- You can leave it overnight or let it stay for 2 hours
- Wash with shampoo
If you find it too dense, dilute the oil with almond oil or coconut oil.
Henna pack makes you stop hair fall
Henna is a wonderful ingredient for your hair. Of course, it is used often as hair coloring ingredient to get rid of gray hair. Besides, it is also used as a natural hair conditioner. Regular use of henna strengthens hair from the root. Henna has cooling properties which rejuvenates the scalp. Forget about using henna to color your hair or hide the grey strands. Use it to control hair fall and make your hair grow. Don’t go for henna powder or packs, all you need are fresh henna leaves.
- Fresh henna leaves- a handful or 2
- Any Essential oil – few drops
- Grind the fresh henna leaves using some water if needed and make it into a paste
- Add a few drops of essential oils (preferably eucalyptus oil)
- Apply the pack on scalp
- Wrap with a shower cap and let it stay for 1 hour
- Just rinse the hair thoroughly and apply mild shampoo
- Fresh henna leaves make your hair smell beautiful and you will just love the glossiness and enhanced volume of the hair
Use it twice or thrice a month.
Henna is also one of the home remedies for gray hair and thus use it to color your hair or cover the grey hair. Chemical based dyes and hair colors makes the hair strands dry and leads to hair fall.
Hibiscus flower and leaves for hair nourishment
Hibiscus flowers and leaves are packed with antioxidants. They provide intense nourishment to your hair. This is obviously what is needed to contain hair fall.
- Hibiscus flowers- 2-3
- Hibiscus leaves- a handful
- Coconut or sesame oil (optional)- 1/2 – 1 cup
- Crush two or three fresh hibiscus flowers and a bunch of hibiscus leaves (you can use both these separately too!) and make it a paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and wrap with a towel.
- Let it stay for 2 hours and wash the hair.
- You can repeat it once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, you can boil the hibiscus flowers in coconut oil or sesame oil.
- Use the oil to massage your scalp and wash your hair after 2 hours.
Not only is this a good home remedy for hair fall but your hair will turn glossy too and look lustrous immediately after single application.
Licorice root for hair fall control and to prevent further damage
Licorice is one of the important spices used in traditional medicine for a number of health conditions. It contains mollifying properties which soothes the irritated scalp, reduces the irritation and removes the dead skin cells as well as dry flakes. Licorice also controls baldness. Instead of milk used in this remedy, you can also use coconut milk. Coconut milk is one of the proven home remedies for hair growth.
- Licorice root powder- 1 tsp
- Milk (or coconut milk)- 1 cup
- Add one teaspoon of licorice root powder to a cup of boiled and cooled milk, mix them well.
- Soak cotton in the milk and apply it on your scalp and across the length of the hair.
- Let it stay for 3 to 4 hours (or if possible you can leave it overnight)
- Wash the hair.
Tea tree oil to curb down infection and hair fall
Scalp infection and dandruff may also lead to uncontrollable hair fall. Use tea tree oil to deep-cleanse the scalp, remove the dandruff and treat infection, which automatically controls hair fall. If you didn’t know, tea tree oil has excellent anti-microbial properties and it’s all natural. But never use it without diluting. Tea tree oil should always be used with a carrier oil due to its strength.
- Almond/ Olive oil- 1 cup
- tea tree oil- 10-20 drops
- add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil in a cup of almond oil / olive oil and mix it well.
- Apply it on scalp and gently massage the scalp.
- Wrap a warm towel (soak towel in warm water) and let it stay for 1 hour.
- Wash the hair with mild shampoo.
Other Tips to Stop Hair Fall
Use Shikakai Herb instead of Shampoo to wash the hair
Many a times, shampoos are the major culprits that could trigger hair fall. It makes an ideal option to go with herbal remedies for hair fall such as Shikakai powder to wash your hair instead of using shampoos. The chemicals used in shampoos apparently ruin the hair follicles. The vitamins like A, C, K, and D, along with other antioxidants present in Shikakai, on the other hand, not only stops hair fall but also helps in hair growth.
Say no to heating equipments
Hair fall is triggered mainly by frequent use of heating and hair styling equipment. Even, healthy, long and strong hair is spoiled by using these equipment. The follicles are exposed to excessive heat, which damage the root and causes hair loss. Try to avoid using heating equipments to style your hair frequently to control hair fall.
- Dry your hair under natural sunlight (Vitamin D is also essential for hair health), don’t use hair dryer often.
- Avoid straightening irons. Straight hair may look great, but straightening iron damages your hair and leads to severe hair fall. You would need months to reverse the damages caused by these equipment.
Hydrate your hair and scalp externally to combat hair fall
Lack of moisture is one of the causes of hair fall. Without adequate moisture, the scalp and hair follicles (roots) are malnourished, which eventually damages the hair and leads to hair fall.
- Apply oil twice or thrice a week and massage your scalp. You don’t need to apply oil daily to control hair loss. Too much oil also affects hair.
- Use natural / organic shampoos and conditioners.
- Give extensive oil massage to your hair at least once a week to retain hair moisture.
- Cover your hair appropriately when you are exposed to dry winds, excessive cold and sunny weather.
Drink a lot of liquids to stop hair fall
Staying well hydrated is essential to nourish your hair and control hair fall. Just like your skin, your hair and scalp needs hydration. So, it could be simply dehydration or lack of moisture that leads to hair fall.
- Drink a lot of water, drink only water whenever you feel thirsty and not colas and sodas
- Include hydrating fluids (fresh fruit juices, tender coconut, butter milk etc.) into your daily diet
- Avoid caffeinated drinks, soft drinks and carbonated beverages (it leads to dryness and affect your hair too!)
Understanding the causes of hair fall is also essential to control the same. Sometimes hair fall is also triggered by health conditions like hypothyroid, low iron and even lack of sleep. So, address these issues too to stop hair fall completely. In most cases, the above home remedies for hair fall work effectively.
These home remedies for hair fall are absolutely safe to use and cause no side effects. The only side effect could be the increased beauty of your hair! Sometimes, you may not be able to manage the voluminous growth of hair and the compliments you receive from the neighbors for your gorgeous hair. Yes, when the hair fall is under control you can easily grow gorgeous stresses.