Have you ever wondered about the need of a hand cream, an anti aging hand cream? Now, come on, why is that needed, if at all!
As you age, you can literally see the signs of aging showing up everywhere, on your face, neck and even on hands and your legs. These are just physical signs, aging also affects you from internally. You can’t really hope that aging signs will go away, without any efforts from your side.
It’s not only about face care and skin care that you should focus upon. Your hands also need a lot of attention. Regardless of the fact how you look, dry hands, patchy skin, wrinkled arms and dark spots are really unattractive. Your hands also need a little bit more attention than your regular hand moisturizer or lotion. So, you need to focus on something to de-age your hands.
What can you do? The answer is anti aging hand creams.
Why should you go for DIY homemade anti aging hand cream?
A lot of anti aging hand creams are available in the market place. Needless to say, you might have already seen or even used plenty of products to reduce the aging signs on your hands. But not all commercially available anti aging hand creams and lotions are effective. Besides, use of chemicals may affect your skin in the long run.
- Homemade hand creams for aging signs on hand are made from natural and organic ingredients, which are relatively safe to use on skin.
- They have no side effects when compared with the chemical laden products.
- They are also somewhat cheaper than buying some high-end cosmetics and skincare brands.
All you should do is indulge in some shopping and spend your time to prepare the DIY homemade anti aging hand cream.
A few things to note when you prepare anti aging hand cream
- Always use double boiler to heat the ingredients. Pour water in a vessel and bring it to boil. Place a vessel over the boiling water. The steam and heat from the water heats the ingredients you put in this vessel. Keep the flame low while heating the ingredients.
- There are two key elements in DIY hand creams to delay aging signs.
- Shea butter
- Even if you don’t use Shea butter, beeswax is crucial to get the creamy consistency. Beeswax and Shea butter are easily available in stores. Alternatively, you may also use cocoa butter to get that cocoa glow and beautiful aroma.
- When you try DIY anti aging hand cream for the first time, make a sample batch with less quantity.
- You can also use vitamin C serum as another staple ingredient in your anti aging hand cream to enhance the rejuvenating effects on your skin. In fact, you can make vitamin C serum at home. Look for its recipe here in Homemade Natural Anti Aging Serums Recipes
- Decide on the type of essential oil you want to include in the homemade anti aging hand cream.
- Instead of water, you can use orange blossom water, herbal tea decoction, glycerin, etc.
The key ingredients you can add in the DIY homemade anti aging hand cream
There are three major ingredients that often used in making hand creams at home. They are:
- Shea Butter
- Essential oils
Why Shea butter
It gives the smooth and creamy consistency to the hand cream. Besides, Shea butter is one of the major ingredients used for its powerful moisturizing properties in many skin care products, including the anti aging creams and lotions.
In every DIY homemade anti aging cream, you can replace half of the Shea butter with cocoa butter and coconut oil. If you have dry skin, use Shea butter and coconut oil in equal parts.
Beeswax is the base to the homemade hand cream recipes. It blends all ingredients together and enables the butter to stay firm and creamy. Beeswax also protects your skin and provides a beautiful, soft coating layer. However, just make sure that you don’t over use beeswax. Adding more beeswax might make the consistency of the hand cream firm and thick. Adding less beeswax makes it very light, airy and creamy. So, you have to manage the balance. It is recommended to add less amount of beeswax because you can always add extra if you need a firmer consistency.
Use the small pellets of beeswax or grate the beeswax because it will be easier to measure, melt and mix with other ingredients when making hand creams.
Why Essential oils
The skin in your arms is different when compared with the facial skin. Skin in the hands is softer than foot and lightly harder than facial skin. So you neither can use heavy ingredients used for anti aging foot care nor can you use fruits and clay you use in your facial masks.
The key ingredients that can reduce and prevent aging signs on hand are nothing but essential oils. All you need is to use a few essential oils in your homemade hand cream recipe to fight away the dark spots, dry patches, rough and wrinkled skin.
A few more ingredients you can include in DIY homemade anti aging hand creams
Vitamin E oil
Vitamin E provides the natural moisture to the skin. Lack of vitamin E is the major cause of dryness, which develops aging signs. Vitamin E nourishes your skin and keeps it hydrated from inside. Besides, it enhances the skin tone, makes it smooth, soft and supple.
Where and how can you get vitamin E oil?
- Buy the vitamin E capsules (inexpensive and cost a few bucks), break open the capsules and extract the oil.
- Organic non-scented almond oil is also a great source of vitamin E, which you can add in the anti aging hand cream recipes.
Jojoba oil is used in almost all DIY anti wrinkle cream recipes. It is very light, aromatic and comes with a lot of healing properties. It is easily absorbed into the skin and regulates the production of sebum and keeps the skin supple, young and healthy.
You can add a few drops of glycerin to all recipes given below to enable deep hydrating effect to the inner layers of skin. It retains moisture in your skin like nothing else can do.
7 DIY Homemade Anti Aging Hand Cream Recipes
1. Lavender Hand Cream
Anti Aging Lavender Hand Cream – a Rich, Scented and Creamy Cream for Dry Skin
This is a very simple fool-proof anti aging hand cream for extremely dry skin. Apart from its world famous aroma, lavender gives you a soothing, calming effect on your skin. It helps heal and regenerate your mature aging skin of hands.
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sweet almond oil / jojoba oil
- 15 to 20 drops lavender oil
- 2 teaspoon Shea butter / 2 teaspoon coconut oil and olive oil each
How to make it
- Mix beeswax and jojoba oil and heat in a double boiler until melted
- Mix other oils / butter separately in the meanwhile
- Remove the beeswax from flame once it is melted
- Add oil mixture and let it cool down.
- Freeze it for 5 minutes.
- By this time, you would get the creamy consistency, transfer the cream to a container.
No water or watery liquids are used in this DIY homemade anti aging hand cream recipe. So you don’t need to blend the ingredients.
2. Anti Aging Non-Greasy Moisturizing Hand Cream
Your Base Hand Cream for Daytime
This is a non-greasy moisturizing cream that comes with goodness of all hydrating ingredients. You can use this as base cream to fight the onset of aging signs in your hands. Being a non-greasy cream, it is suitable to use during day time.
This may not be effective for age spots and extremely dry skin.
- ½ cup aloe vera gel (fresh gel or store bought pure gel)
- A few drops of distilled water / glycerin
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of grated beeswax (it will be easy to melt the grated wax)
- 2 teaspoons of jojoba oil for extra nourishment to the aging skin and to add the aroma to the beeswax
- 3 to 4 teaspoons vitamin E oil (store bought vitamin E oil or oil extracted from capsules)
- 15 drops of any choice of aromatic essential oil (lavender, grapeseed oil, rose essential oil, etc.)
- A few drops of vitamin C serum
The above quantity will yield about a cup of hand cream. The shelf life is 3 to 4 weeks. You can refrigerate the cream by making in large batches and the shelf life increases to 4 to 6 months.
How to make it
- Mix aloe vera gel, vitamin E and essential oil (15 drops) in a bowl and blend it well. Keep it aside.
- Boil water in a wide-bottomed vessel and place another container as double boiler. Add grated beeswax and jojoba oil.
- Stir it gently until beeswax is melted and blended well with jojoba oil.
- Remove it from flame and let it cool.
- Blend beeswax oil mixture.
- Add aloe mixture to the blender and blend on LOW speed but continuously for 2 minutes.
- The oil blend may pop up, be patient. Use spatula to collect the mixture around the sides of blender and turn on blender again.
- Continue until you get the creamy, soft and airy texture.
- Collect the cream and transfer it into a clean dry jar.
Your moisturizing anti aging hand cream is ready to use! This hand cream has very subtle aroma. Instead of aloe, you can use Shea butter, but it will be somewhat greasy if you do so.
3. Anti Wrinkle Orange Hand Cream
Rejuvenate the Dull, Cracked and Wrinkled Skin of your Hands
This creamy and light anti aging cream is all about rejuvenation of your skin. The zesty aroma of orange fruit along with goodness of essential oil blend deep nourishes the skin from internal layers, and erases the wrinkles on your hand.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of beeswax
- 3 to 5 drops jojoba oil
- 3 to 5 teaspoon Shea butter
- Zest of 1 medium sized fresh orange
- A few drops of Vitamin C serum
- A few drops of Vitamin E oil
- A few drops of glycerin to bind the ingredients
How to make it
- Melt the beeswax and jojoba oil in double boiler
- Add Shea butter, orange zest and vitamin E oil in a blender and whisk it.
- Whisk until it turns fluffy and light
- Add melted wax to the mixture and blend again
- Add vitamin C serum
- Let it cool down and transfer to a container
Store in refrigerator and you can use it for one month. You can also use lemon zest or red grape fruit zest instead of orange zest.
4. Anti Aging Night Cream for Hands
Whipped Hand Cream for Night time Usage
Homemade anti wrinkle night creams are not only for face, you can make such creams for hands too. But can we make a hand cream without using beeswax? Yes, of course!
Some of you may be somewhat skeptical about using beeswax pastilles. Here is a simple recipe without using beeswax. Go make this anti aging night cream for hands.
- 1 cup Shea butter
- 1 cup cocoa butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- A few drops of glycerin
- A few drops of jojoba oil
- A mixer / hand blender with whisk attachment
How to make it
- Add all ingredients and blend it in a blender / mixer until it becomes soft
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate it, until it becomes solid
- Once it becomes firm, transfer the mixture to the mixer again and whisk it
- Whisk it until it becomes like a whipped cream (Don’t try to lick your finger, it won’t taste as great as it smells!)
- That’s it. Transfer to a jar, store it and use it.
5. Coconut Oil Hand Cream for Rough Skin
A Remedy for your Overused Hands
This is a straight forward DIY hand cream. If your hands are rough, you can make it to moisturize them with a soothing comfort. It is very easy hand cream recipe, all you need to do is whisking and it’s done.
- 1/2 to 1 cup Coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of your choice of essential oil (lavender, rose, lemon, orange, anything would do but preferably choose the essential oils based on the requirements of your skin)
How to make it
- Whisk the coconut oil until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Add a few drops of any choice of essential oil and freeze it.
- Whisk again and you will get the buttery texture.
- Store in a container and use it.
6. Intense Repair Anti Aging Hand Cream
Cream for your very old looking hands
If your hands show up the unpleasant aging signs and if you look for some miraculous hand cream, then go for this intense repair anti aging hand cream, do it at your home.
- 3 to 4 teaspoons beeswax
- A few drops jojoba oil
- 3 to 5 teaspoons Shea butter
- Vitamin E oil
- Vitamin C serum
- Blend of essential oils given below (20 to 30 drops all together)
- Argan oil (All-in-one solution for all aging skin problems)
- Carrot seed essential oil (A powerful anti-aging oil for skin)
- Lavender oil (Soothing and rejuvenating)
- Pretty much any choice of essential oil you like
How to make it
- Melt beeswax with jojoba oil in a double boiler
- Combine all other ingredients and blend them well
- Add melted wax to the blended mixture
- Blend it all until you get soft and creamy texture
- You will get a magical aroma from the mixture of various ingredients
- Let it cool down, refrigerate it and store in container
7. Spicy Hand Cream for Aging Hands
Let your Skin Inhale the Goodness of Spices
All spices are literally healthy and contain some micro compounds your aging hands need to repair themselves. Make this spicy hand cream to get the goodness of spices and battle the aging signs. You will need to make this hand cream in two steps- first, you make a spice oil and then you make the anti aging hand cream using this spice oil.
Ingredients required to make the spice oil
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- One inch cinnamon
- One inch dry ginger
- 2 to 3 cardamom pod
- ½ cup olive oil or fragrance free almond oil
You can use whole spice or make powder out of them.
First make the spice oil
- Add all the spices / spice powder to ½ cup olive oil or fragrance free almond oil and heat in a double boiler for 30 minutes. Let it cool down for 1 to 2 hours. Strain the oil and remove the spices. Your spice oil is ready.
Ingredients required to make the spicy anti aging hand cream
- 3 to 4 teaspoons beeswax
- Spice oil
- Shea butter
How to make it
- Melt beeswax in spice oil and cool it down.
- Add Shea butter to the wax and blend it well.
- Your spicy hand cream is ready to use.
What to do when you don’t get the hand cream consistency right?
Well, not everyone can be a master in art of making all. Don’t panic if you don’t get desired consistency while making your anti aging hand cream. Do this
- If you find that oil and water doesn’t mix up well, don’t worry. (This is the major aspect where many fail) Don’t throw away the cream (or the mixture) when the oil and water splits in your hand cream. Heat it again in double boiler, let it cool down, blend it and freeze it. In most cases, you will get the desired texture of the hand cream.
- If it is very airy, add a bit more melted wax and blend it again.
- If it is too dense and firm, add some more Shea butter or any essential oil to make it light.
A few tips for anti aging hand care
- When it comes to anti aging, you should regularly exfoliate the skin and remove the dead cells from your hands too. Use brown sugar to exfoliate the skin or rub a slice of lemon to remove the dead cells. It is very subtle when compared to using salt or sugar scrub.
- Just because you apply anti aging hand cream, it doesn’t mean the cream is sufficient for your anti aging regimen. You should drink a lot of water and stay hydrated from inside out, which is the key to prevent skin dryness.
- In case of extreme climate (too sunny, too cold or too windy), you should wear appropriate clothing to cover the hands and legs.
- Avoid using too hot and too cold water even for washing hands
- Don’t bath for a long time. It will rip off the natural oils from skin.
- Apply the hand cream immediately after bathing, within three minutes, this is the best time when your skin absorbs moisture in the most effective way.
A lazy way to make your own anti aging hand cream
If you are too busy or too lazy to follow step by step instructions to make the hand cream for your aging hands, here is the simple way to do it.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend until the thing becomes soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and place it in microwave / double boiler until it is fully melted.
- Let it cool down
- Blend the mixture again until it turns soft and creamy
- Refrigerate it for a few minutes and transfer it to a container.
Nothing can beat this when it comes to an easy way to make DIY anti aging hand creams at home!